Churches and places of worship
Church of the St. Michael the Archangel
It was built between 1762 and 1800, to replace the previous buildings: a 17th century church and its medieval predecessor. The neoclassical façade is topped by a pediment with the statues of St. Michael and his angels. The ceiling was frescoed by Giovanni Battista Canal, a Venetian painter from the second half of the 1700s, and a follower of Il Tiepolo. An excellent copy of The Tizianesque Assumption by Teodoro Licini is showcased. The chancel contains The Last Supper by Tommaso Sciacca.
(Via Roma – Villanova del Ghebbo)
Church of St. Julian the Martyr
It was rebuilt in the 17th century in place of an older medieval building. It was renovated and embellished until it acquired its current appearance. The church’s façade is neoclassical, and it has a single nave.
(Via Dante Alighieri – Bornio, Villanova del Ghebbo)
Oratory of the Holy Name of Mary
The original building was built in the mid-17th century. According to oral tradition, the spot was chosen because a miraculous appearance of the Virgin Mary. It’s characterized by a simple yet balanced structure. It features a small baroque bell tower on the left, with an onion-shaped spire.
(Via Ca’ Nova – Villanova del Ghebbo)
Its name comes from Villanova and Ghebbo, which in Venetian is “ghebo”, ‘canal’. Recent archaeological digs near Fratta Polesine led to the hypothesis that Villanova del Ghebbo’s origin may be prehistoric as well. In the 8th century the small church of St. Zeno was built by Valdentro. The name “Villanova San Zenone” came from this church. It was destroyed in a flood caused by the Adige River. The church was rebuilt in the 11th century, on the bank of the Adigetto, a canal that grew out of the Adige. Later, in the 12th century, Ferrara gave St. Zeno to Verona. Verona had a castle built in a hamlet called Gazzo or Ghebbo, named after the Gazzo creek. It acquired its present name in the 16th century, as it was already called Villanova. This is shown by 14th century documents regarding a clergy meeting. In the early 1200s Mantua took over the castle, which was later destroyed by Ezzelino III of Romano, the mayor of Verona. Since then Villanova followed Lendinara in its course through history. It gained its autonomy after the Campoformio treaty. Not much is known of its history, since the municipal archives were destroyed in the Napoleonic vicissitudes of the early 1800s.
Pro Loco Villanova del Ghebbo
Via Roma n° 75
Villanova del Ghebbo
tel. 346 8637490