Villamarzana

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Church of St Batholomew

An important Paleolithic location was discovered between Villamarzana and the Canalbianco Canal.

Churches and places of worship

villamarzanachiesabartolomeoChurch of St Batholomew
The church of St. Batholomew in Gognano was first mentioned in a papl letter from 1123. The current church was built in 1581, and the ancient bell tower is next to it. In 1921, during renovation work, an ancient tempera painting was brought to light. The painting on the chancel wall depicts the Virgin with Baby Jesus. It immediately drew the interest of art scholars, who dated it to the Renaissance. 
(Via G. Matteotti – Gognano, Villamarzana)

 

 

villamarzanachiesastefanopapamartireChurch of St. Stephen the Martyr Pope
The church reportedly existed in 972. It was rebuilt in 1578, and the current church was finished in the mid-1700s. The interior contains a fine main altar and an organ from 1860.
(Piazzale Chiesa – Villamarzana)

 

 

oratoriomsaluteOratory of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary
It’s also known as the oratory of Our Lady of Health at Anconetta. It was formerly owned by Countess Maffei of Ferrara. It has a marble altar.
(Via 43 Martiri – Anconetta, Villamarzana)

 

 

 

oratoriospietroOratory of St. Peter
Two masses a year are celebrated here: one on the day of St. Anthony the Abbot, and the other on St. Peter’s day.
(Via S. Pietro Martire – Villamarzana)

 

 

 

 

Places of interest

villacagnoniboniottiCagnoni Boniotti Villa
The complex was built in 1589. It’s made up of a simple manor house flanked by a farm building with a large arched portico. 
(Via XXV Aprile – Gognano, Villamarzana)

 

 

 

History

Several archaeological finds have led to the hypothesis of human settlements along the upper branch of the Po, starting in the late Bronze Age. The name comes from “villa” and “Marziana”, which is the adjective form of MARTIUS with the suffix –ANUS, -ANA. In roman times the settlement was on the important crossroads between the Adria-Trecenta road and Lendinara-Ficarolo road. In the 10th century it was given by pope Martino to the bishop of Adria. It was later ruled by the House of Este, along with the rest of Polesine. It was constantly fought over by Venice and Ferrara, as each attempted to gain control of the traffic on the Po and Adige rivers. In the 15th century the “salt war” broke out between the House of Este and Venice. The war interrupted the land reclamation work going on in the area, known as “Portrait of Frattesina”. After the war the Venice ruled Villamarzana for three centuries. In the 18th century Polesine was occupied by the French, with the Napoleonic invasion. In was later ruled by the Austrians. In 1866 it was annexed to the kingdom of Italy. Villamarzana took part in both world wars: in the second, forty-four partisans were killed by the Nazi-fascists.

 

Useful information

Pro Loco Villamarzana
Via 43 Martiri, 49
cell. 340 4874255
e-mail: prolocovillamarzana@libero.it