Churches and places of worship
Church of St. Leonard the Abbot
Written evidence points to an older church, built in the 1300s, and to an oratory built in the 17th century. The current church was built between the 18th and 19th centuries. It contains altars and parts from the previous buildings. Inside are some works of art such as the 1830 altar pall by Pietro Bonati that depicts St. Anthony, St. Biagio and St. Luigi Gonzaga; the altar pall of the Holy Family by Riccardo Cessi (1873); the altar pall of St. Leonard before King Clovis by Pietro Bonati (1830). (Via Umberto I° – Villadose)
This oratory was built in 1688 by Bartolomeo Patella to serve Patella Palace. In the mid-1700s the Patella family built the new main altar, which is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. It’s surrounded by two 18th century statues of Istria stone that depict St. John the Baptist and St. Peter. In the center of the altar is a statue of St. Barbara which was given by the Gunner corps in 1961. Behind the altar is a 17th century fresco that was recently restored. It depicts the Virgin on a throne with the Child, and St. Francis and St. Nicholas of Bari. The oratory dedicated to St. Bartolo was transformed into a small Church of the Fallen in the 20th century. (Via Liona – Villadose)
Archaeological museum of Roman Centuriation
The museum contains about 400 artifacts that were found superficially in the great roman centuriation of Adria. The area was recently identified in the countryside between Rovigo and Adria. With a methodic surface research, which was authorized by the Superintendence for Cultural Heritage, about 350 archaeological sites were found. The Archaeological Group of Villadose set up the Educational Exhibition of Roman Centuriation in 1990. It manages the exhibition for the municipal administration. It’s hosted in the ancient Patella residence, which is currently the town hall.
The Museum serves educational purposes. It’s set up in four sections:
a) Centuriations in general, and the Adria Centuriation particularly.
b) Archaeological research on the surface.
c) Activities of roman settlers in the centuriation.
d) Traces left by Venetian peoples before the Romans..
The exhibits contain fragments of bricks and tombstones, and household and crafting equipment such as: weaving weights; fragments of vases, lamps, and crockery; silver coins; glass containers for ointments in graves.
Piazza Aldo Moro, 24
Tel. +39 0425 21530 – 0425 405206
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org – email@example.com
Open with reservation
Places of interest
Patella Palace – Town Hall
The Patella manor has been the town hall since the twenties. It’s a majestic building that was built between the 16th and 17th centuries. It was two façades based upon different architectural models: the Ferrara model and the Veneto model. The northern façade, which faces the Adigetto River, is austere, and its only feature is a textured door. The southern façade is prettier and more open. The ground floor has a nice portico with three arches. The main floor has a loggia with a triple window. The large hall on the main floor contains three paintings by an unknown 1600s artist. The artwork depicts religious images, and originates from the nearby Patella oratory. The paintings were recently restored.
(Piazza Aldo Moro, n°24 – Villadose)
Villa Casalini (Casalini farm)
The large 18th century complex is made up of: two large farm buildings, one with 23 arches and the other with 15; a manor house with an external double staircase; two small hexagonal kiosks in 1700s style (one was recently demolished); a second house created by closing some of the arches on the eastern farm building.
(Via Filippo Turati, n°268 – Villadose)
Donà Grimani Villa
This imposing Venetian farm is also known as Barchessa Farm. It’s made up of a manor house and of “barchessa” (a farm building with long porticos and ample storage in the upper floor). The farm was built by the Donà family between the late 1600s and the early 1700s. It was later owned by the Grimani the Marcello families. Now it houses the Bank of Cooperative Credit of Polesine.
(Via Filippo Turati – Villadose)
This villa probably dates to the 18th century. It has smooth columns and an architrave in the façade that faces the Adigetto River.
(Via F. Turati, n°224 – Villadose)
Penelazzo Farm (Ash Farm)
This ate 1800s Venetian farm has a granary with a portico. A 400 year old ash tree in inside the property. Nowadays it hosts a restaurant.
(Via G. Garibaldi, n°52 – Penelazzo, Villadose)
Ca’Tron – Lionello
It was built in the 14th century, on the border with Adria. It’s the oldest building in the municipality. The farm buildings were added later. It may have belonged to the Benedictine Monks, but after that the owners were the Tron family.
(Via A.A. Rizzo, n°221 – Cà Tron, Villadose)
De Stefani Farm
The De Stefani farm was built in 1860 in the northern countryside.
(Via Filippo Turati, n°153/155 – Villadose)
Archeological finds show that the settlement existed in roman times, but it’s possible that its origins are paleo-venetian. The current village is crossed by the Adigetto River, which was created by a deviation in the Adige’s riverbed. The village was born after land reclamation work done by the farming community. It was part of the so-called economic revolution of the second millennium, when lords and bishops subsidized the creation of new villages and settlements in the countryside. Villadose’s name comes from “villa of the Doge”. It was ruled by Ferrara from the 12th to the 15th century. With the “salt war” it was conquered by the Venetians, who kept it until the Campoformio Treaty. Its land was owned by Venetian lords, who were given the fiefdom by the Marquis of Este in the 13th century. After them, it was owned by the Patella family, who were vested with the title by Borso of Este. In the 17th century Niccolò Donà became doge. VILLA DUCIS became Villa of the Doge (Villa del Dose), and later Villadose. In the 19th century the bourgeoisie opted for a protectionist policy that led to emigration. The area was occupied by the French, the by the Austrians. In 1866 it was annexed to the kingdom of Italy. On the eve of the liberation, in 1945, the town suffered the Nazi troops’ vengeance. The geography was substantially modified in time by the constant floods. The worst ones were the Adige flood of the 6th century and the Po flood of the 12th century.
Pro Loco Villadose
Piazza Aldo Moro, 24
Tel. 335 5437182