Trecenta

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Pepoli Palace

An ancient branch of the Po, known as Po of Adria, used to flow by the town. Its presence is evidenced by a number of ponds known as “gorghi” (eddies).

Churches and places of worship

sgiorgiotrecentaChurch of St. George the Martyr
After various modifications, the present church was finished in 1708 in place of a previous one from the 17th century. It was designed by architect Vincenzo Santini of Ferrara. The big fresco on the façade, which depicts “the Fight of St. George against the dragon”, was painted by Anselmo Baldissara in 1935. The church’s style is the Ferrara-style baroque of the 1700s. The floor plan has the shape of a Latin cross. The interior has three naves with eleven altars. It also contains various paintings, some of which were painted by Carlo Bononi.
(Piazza S. Giorgio – Trecenta)

 

sanmaurelioChurch of St. Maurelio 
Its presence is confirmed by documents from 1353. The present church was built between 1656 and 1674. It originally belonged to Ferrara. Inside are precious fresco fragments, attributed by Vittorio Sgarbi to painter Marco Zoppo (1433-1478) of Cento. Another painting may be attributed to Giovanni Francesco Barbieri from Cento, known as Il Guercino (1591-1688).
(Piazza XX Settembre – Sariano, Trecenta)

 

 

oratorio-della-beata-vergine-della-consolazioneOratory of the Holly Virgin of Consolation
It was built in the second half of the 12th century atop an early 1600s shrine. The oratory was designed by Vincenzo Santini. The prospectus and the bell tower are reminiscent of the parish church’s design. The floor plan is an oval. The church is dedicated to the fallen of every war. It contains three altar palls by Ferrara painter Carlo Bononi, which depict St. Agatha, St. Lucy, and the Virgin with St. Sebastian and St. Rocco. The palls are from the early 17th century. In 2002 it was renovated and reopened to worshippers. (Via R. Sanzio – Trecenta)

 

 

Places of interest

castellosariano2Sariano Castle (Casa Pepoli)
This 16th century building was first owned by the Contrari family, of Ferrara, then by the Pepoli family. It presents 16th century features. This type of building is unusual in Veneto, and exceptionally rare in Polsine. The architectural complex is very harmonious, and it still benefits from its original seclusion.
(Via Nuova – Sariano, Trecenta)

 

 

palazzo-pepoli-detto-il-palazzonPepoli Palace (known as il Palazzon)
This 16th century building was owned by the Contrari family. It was later inherited by the Pepoli family, from Bologna, in the time of the Duchy of Ferrara. The last owner was the Spalletti family, who gave it to the Veneto region in 1987 so it could be renovated and put to use. It’s the most interesting nobility residence in the area. Its features follow the tenets of the later Renaissance and its architecture it typical of the Emilia area. After the main floors and the basement were renovated, it was used to host cultural and touristic events. (Via A. Canova, 8 – Trecenta)

 

trebbi2Villa Trebbi
This is the current town hall. It was built in the second half of the 1700s by the Trebbi family. It was purchased by the municipal administration in 1875, and it was then modified for its purposes. Villa Trebbi is also remembered for its role in the history of the Carboneria, a secret society, in Polesine.
(Piazza G. Marconi, 1 – Trecenta)

 

 

torre-civicaCivic Tower
The tower was built in 1888 to call upon the town council. It used the bell that previously belonged to the church of Bagnolo. Nowadays, only a small symbolic bell remains. The building is used as the local police headquarters, as the public library, and for conferences and classes. (Piazza G. Garibaldi – Trecenta)

 

 

gorgozucoloI gorghi (the eddies)
The “gorghi” are a number of wetlands. They were caused by ancient floods that filled depressions in the landscape. These small ponds have given life to an environment rich in plant life and lake wildlife. Six small lakes can be visited. They go from Trecenta to Sariano, along the R. Sanzio road. Their names are:
Gorgo Bottazza (first mentioned at the beginning of the last century); Gorgo Gàspera (these two have recently been used as fish hatcheries); Gorgo Magon (About 1.5km west of town, these ponds are separated from the main lake known as Gorgo Bianco, which is 13m deep);
Gorgo della Sposa (The largest in the area between Ferrara and Rovigo, it’s made up of two lakes. The northern one is 12m deep);
Gorgo Zucolò (The smallest and most deteriorated one);
Gorgo Magherino (This one is 3.5km from Ceneselli, and between 1609 and 1625 it was part of a drainage effort by Marquis E. Bentivoglio).
The seventh, known as Gorgo Malopera, is in the Pissatola hamlet. In 1989 the “gorghi” were added to the list of protected area in the Veneto region.

 

History

Archaeological finds from the 1st century BC evidence its roman origins. The name’s evolution is tied to the town’s purpose in roman times. It was first mentioned as ANEJANUM (maybe from GENS AMNIA) in the ITINERARIUM attributed to emperor Antoninus. Its current name comes from TRECENTA, a measure of land in ancient holdings. It may be the rest stop on the Annia road, at CENTUMTRIGNITA (130) miles from Rimini. The roman rule began in the 2nd century BC, but the town acquired Latin citizenship in the beginning of the 1st century BC, and roman citizenship towards the end of the century. After the barbarian invasions and the fall of the Roman Empire, the area underwent a time of crisis. In the 7th century it was under the episcopal rule of Ferrara, and thus, of the Ferrara Duchy. In the 13th century, when the town is first mentioned, it was part of the Duchy of Este and partially of the Papal State. In the 15th century it took part in the “salt war” between the Venetians and the House of Este. It was conquered by the Venetians, then it returned to the House of Este, who ruled it until the end of the 16th century. After the death of Alonso II of Este it became part of the Papal State. In the 18th century it was occupied by Napoleon. With the Congress of Vienna in 1815 it was annexed to the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia, under the Austrians. In the late 19th century it became part of the Kingdom of Italy. It participated in both world wars, and it was stricken by various natural disasters such as the Po and Adige floods. These rivers flooded the entire Polesine area. It was also hit by a cyclone that caused the death of many inhabitants.

 

Useful information

Consorzio Pro Loco Medio Alto Polesine
Piazza S. Giorgio, 30
Tel. 0425 701457 – 0425 700258 – Fax 0425 700258
e-mail: prolocotrecenta@libero.it

Pro Loco Trecenta
Piazza S. Giorgio, 30
Tel. 0425 701457 – 0425 700258 – Fax 0425 700258
e-mail: prolocotrecenta@libero.it
www.prolocotrecenta.it