Churches and places of worship
Church of St. Francis of Assisi
This church was built in 1862. Its style is Romanic, and its façade is made up entirely of exposed brick. It has two levels: the lower one has four giant ionic pillars; the upper one has a large semicircular lunette with a mosaic that depicts St. Francis of Assisi. The door features bronze bas-reliefs by Giovanni Gennai that depict the life of St. Francis and the worship of Our Lady of the black measles. A bell tower was built a few years after the church (it was completed in 1969), but it was smaller than anticipated because of a lack of funds. (Piazza Venezia – Taglio di Po)
Villa Zen Chapel
This family chapel was dedicated to St. Margaret. It was built on an older Sacellum, as evidenced by a 1459 tabernacle inside the Chapel. The altar still has a group of statues that depicts the Annunciation of the Archangel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary. These 1700s sculptures were created by the school of the Bolognese sculptor Bonazza. (Via Ca’Zen n°4 – Taglio di Po)
Regional Museum of Land Reclamation of Ca’ Vendremin
The Regional Museum of Land Reclamation of Ca’ Vendremin was set up in a former water pumping plant, which was decommissioned in the late ‘60s. The museum’s purpose is to share past land reclamation efforts: the drainage of swamps and ponds; the preservation of the equilibrium between land and water, protecting the environment while also allowing the economic development of delta area.
Fondazione Ca’ Vendramin
Via Veneto, 38 Loc. Taglio di Po (RO)
Tel. e Fax: 0426 81219
Wednesday to Sunday, from 9:30 to 12:30; Saturday and Sunday afternoons with reservations.
Full price 2€
Reduced price 1€ (groups of 20 people or more; visitors under 18 and over 65; people who accompany disabled people)
Free for children under 12, journalists, people with disabilities, soldiers in uniform, tourist guides.
Places of interest
The Zen family had it built around the mid-18th century. The villa is secluded in the countryside, by the right bank of the Po. It has an original main body to which two wings were added in the 1800s. Nowadays the complex is made up of a manor house; some stables; some barns; some farming buildings, and a pretty oratory. The latter is dedicated to St. Margaret, and its right by the riverbank. The villa still keeps a cippus with the papal coat of arms. It used to mark the border between the lands that belonged to the Papal State and those that were part of the Venetian Republic. According to tradition, Lord Byron lived here, where he used to meet his pretty lover, Teresa Gamba. Regarding one of these meetings, he wrote the “Stanzas to the Po”, from the balustrade of the first floor hall. Some archaeological remains were found here. They are kept in the villa. (Via Ca’ Zen – Taglio di Po)
Not far from Ca’ Zen, on the right bank of the Po, is Ca’ Nani. This 1700s building is embellished by peculiar pediments on both facades. These ornaments set it apart from the typical villas of Polesine. The Nani family, of the Venetian nobility, had some farming buildings and a chapel called “Church of Ca’ Nani” built. These are no longer visible. In the early 1800s, and until 1887, the estate was owned by the Guccioli marquis of Ravenna.
(Via Ca’ Zen – Taglio di Po)
This villa was built by Mazzorno in the late 1600s. It was owned by count Domenico of Carlo Borini. The farm’s layout is typical of villas in Polesine. Villas were used by the nobility to relax and to administer their land holdings. The complex is made up of a large residence, a house for the laborers with a shed, and a barn. The villa is a linear building with three floors. It faces the river, whereas the southern side has an elegant portico with six arches that faces the farmyard and the countryside. (Via Ca’Zen – Taglio di Po)
The name comes from Po and from “taglio” (cut), a name that refers to an artificial canal that diverts a river. The name originates from the “Cut of Port Viro” – the greatest human undertaking in Polesine. It was accomplished between 1600 and 1604 by the Republic of Venice, to keep the debris carried by the eastern and northern Po branches from filling the Lagoon. The river had already changed its course multiple times over the centuries: in the 12th century a disastrous flood diverted the course of the Po and of its Ariano branch northward. This gave birth to the Ariano Island, which was partially a swamp. It also had dunes upon which ancient roads were built in Greco-Roman times. The “cut of Porto Viro” project was a canal that would go from Porto Viro to Sacca di Goro. The work began in the early 12th century, when Polesine, after the death of the last heir of the House of Este – Duke Alfonso II – passed to the Papal State. The Po was closed in Fornaci, and a new canal, the Po of Venice, was excavated to divert the delta eastward into Sacca di Goro. The Po of Venice became the new border between the Papal state and the Venetian Republic. The first settlements in the area were in the mid-17th century. They were inhabited by fishermen, hunters and shepherds. In the 18th century it switched to Venetian rule. One the Republic fell in 1797, it was annexed to Ferrara. It underwent the Napoleonic invasion and the Austrian rule, after which, in 1866, it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. During this time the land reclamation efforts began, with the excavation of drainage canals. It took part in the war of Libya and in World War I. It was stricken several times by floods and by disastrous measles epidemics.
Pro Loco Taglio di Po
Piazza Venezia, 3
Tel. 0426 346369 – Fax 0426 346369