Churches and places of worship
Church of St. Stephen the Martyr
A church dedicated to St. Stephen existed before the year 1000. More reliable reports on the church are available from 1434 onward, thanks to the bishop’s visits. The current church was built between 1791 and 1799. The interior was finished much later, and the painted decorations by the Bolognese artist Antonio Maria Nardi were completed in 1932. During the last war it was severely damaged, and repairs were required. The neoclassical façade was finished in 1990. (P.zza S. Stefano 102 – Stienta)
Oratory of St. Genesio
This 1600s oratory was part of a Benedictine farm controlled by Ferrara. Its past presence is visible in architectural elements such as the elegant arches in the farm buildings by the few remaining lodgings. A miraculous effigy of the Virgin Mary is kept within the oratory, where it was worshipped in the 17th century.
Places of interest
This villa was built in the second half of the 18th century. It has a main body flanked by two set-back towers, in accord with the standards of military architecture. The doors on the façade are decorated with terracotta. The ground floor of one of the towers was used as a chapel. On the left of the villa is a pretty farming building, with wide arches. Part of the large park, with century-old trees, still remains. (Stienta)
This noble 1700s residence was built in Ferrara style. The rectangular main body has a raised floor, which can be accessed through a staircase, and a dovecote.
Its name apparently comes from a Greek-Phoenician word that referred to a place with fog. Another interpretation finds its origin in the Latin SEPTINGENTA, ‘seventy’, a reference to land holdings. Archaeological finds prove the existence of a roman settlement. Stienta was invaded by the barbarians. It was first owned by the bishops of Ferrara, then by the Benedictine monks. In 1308 the rule of the House of este began. In 1402 it was turned into a fiefdom by Nicolò of este. It was heavily involved in the so-called “salt war” between the Este family and Venice (1482). In 1506 it became property of Alfonso Trotti of Ferrara, and in 1560 its ownership switched to Cornelio Bentivoglio. In 1597, after the heirless death of Alfonso II, it became part of the Papal State. It remained so until 1797, when the Napoleonic invasion changed the borders. In 1805 it was assigned to the Ferrara district. In 1815, however, with the Congress of Vienna, it was joined with the Rovigo province. After the harsh Austrian rule, it was annexed by the Kingdom of Italy in 1866. Both the first and second world wars caused many deaths among the men. Several natural disasters struck the area: in the mid-12th century the rout of the Po in Ficarolo; in the 17th and 18th centuries, the various floods caused by the Po, Adige, Mincio, and Castagnaro rivers; lastly, the 1951 flood.