Churches and places of worship
Church of St. Martin
It was built in 1740 by the Loredan family to replace a previous church, built around the 17th century, which had been damaged by the constant floods. It was renovated in 1862, and in 1922 Anselmo Baldissara finished painting the interior. There is no churchyard. The interior has a single nave, with some paintings and altar palls of the Verona school.
(Via G. Mazzini 187 – San Martino di Venezze)
Church of St. Mary of Assumption
The present church was built in 1903, and was finished in 1909. It was built in the place where a 16th-17th century church, built by the Redetti family, used to stand. It has single nave. The church’s façade is framed and divided into three parts by a double set of Doric pilasters. A fake mullioned window is in niche between the central and the upper pilasters. A rose window is in the middle of the pediment.
(Via Cavour 817 – Beverare, San Martino di Venezze)
Places of interest
Villa Giustiniani, known as “Ca’ Venezze”
This great walled architectural complex is one of the Villas in Polesine. It was built in the 16th century, renovated in the 1700s and expanded in the 1800s. The complex was owned by the Giustiniani family from Venice. The 1758 chapel was renovated in 1884. It may visited with the current owners’ permission.
(Saline, San Martino di Venezze)
It was built in 1650 by the Corni, a Venetian family. It follows the typical Venetian villa architecture, inspired by Palladio. The Corni Palace is an example of the late 1600s baroque style. The central part features a jagged pediment. It’s framed by two slender chimney flues. The jagged pediment tops the main body, which has three identical doors, one above the other.
(San Martino di Venezze)
This palace was built by the Loredan family in the 14th century. The bulky building was rebuilt true to its original, which was destroyed in 1860 by a flood caused by the Adige River. It’s been the city hall since 1927.
(San Martino di Venezze)
Its name apparently originates from the Latin CASTRUM VENETICORUM. It refers to its construction, around the year 1000. It was built by the Venetians as a rampart to protect the salt trade. Up until the 1600s its name was Villa Venezze. The first document to mention it is a papal letter from March 6th 1123. The letter confirmed the area was to be ruled by the Benedictines of the Vangadizza abbey. In 1296 it was ruled by the Carraresi from Padua. In 1324, however, it was controlled by the House of Este. After the “salt war” of 1484 it became part of the Venetian Republic. Its later history does not feature noteworthy events. Various floods caused by the Adige struck it throughout the centuries. The worst ones were the 1634 1671, 1760 and 1844 floods.