Churches and places of worship
Parish Church of St. Valentine
It was built in the 18th century over the remains of a previous church, which was dedicated to St. Leo. It contains various paintings from the Ferrara of the 1700s, by artists such as Il Ghedini and Il Gregori. The most important work of art is a 1600s Crucifix painted by Ercole Sarti. The walnut chancel dates to the second half of the 18th century. (Via Roma – Salara)
Monastery of the Holy Cross
It was built by the Augustinians in the final years of the 11th century. In the late 1400s, under the Este rule, it was acquired by the Benedictines. They remained here until the early 1700s. They were divided from the population by a bitter legal dispute that dragged on for over two hundred years. It’s formed by a main body, with two wings on the sides, and a dovecote. The foundation date back to the 12th century, while the main body is from the 1600s and the two wings are from the 18th and 19th centuries. Its imposing structure is evidence of its great importance in past centuries. (Via Croce – Salara)
Oratory of St. Anthony from Padua
It was built in the mid-1600s and it was entirely rebuilt in the early 1700s. It was renovated in 1844 for the bishop’s visit. (Salara)
Places of interest
The city hall contains some archaeological finds from roman times, a testament to the village’s history.
(Via Roma – Salara)
Its name comes from the Latin SALARIA, ‘relating to salt’, and apparently it refers to the salt trade or to a salt deposit. Archaeological finds show its origin was roman. It is first mentioned in 12th century book of Census for the Church. It was ruled by Augustinian monks for seven centuries. The land was split with the House of Este in 1252, thanks to the intervention of the Duke of Ferrara Azzone VII and of his son Aldobrandino. Ercole and Eleonora of Este obtained permission to replace the Augustinian monks with the Benedictines of the Congregation of St. Justine of Padua. It was granted by Pope Sisto IV in 1476. A lawsuit over ownership of the land, between the convent and the population, thus began. In 1664 a few hundred settlers joined forces to sue the monastery. In 1729 cardinal Ruffo confirmed the Monk’s ownership. Since 1748, however, their lands were gradually sold. In 1597 it joined the Papal State along with the Duchy of Ferrara. In 1866 it became part of the Kingdom of Italy. In 1686 it was flooded by the Po River. In 1951 it was stricken by another disastrous flood.
Pro Loco Salara
Via Roma, 133
cell. 346 6420140
Strawberry festival of the Province
Second and third weekends of May
This important event celebrates local strawberries with a competition, food tasting, and food stands all involving strawberry products.
December 24th – The entire village and neighboring areas
Together with the municipal AVIS, Santa Claus give elementary school and preschool children a small gift on behalf the associations. They also give “personal” gifts by family members.
Brusa la Vecia
January – Sports field, not far from downtown
This event recurs every year. It’s celebrated with a large bonfire that burns a puppet Befana (old lady), according to tradition. Homemade holiday food is offered during the festivities.