Churches and places of worship
Church of St. Anthony of Padua
This church was built in the 17th century by Matteo Sanudo, judge of St. Mark for the Venetian Republic. It was promoted to parish church in 1670. In the first decades of the 1800s and of the 1900s it was renovated and expanded. Its sacristy was damaged by a fire in 1982. It was replaced by the new parish church in 1989.
(Viale Marconi – Rosolina)
Church of the Holy Virgin of Conception
In 1782 the Mocenigo family asked to have their own church built, and it was done in 1789. It’s currently abandoned, but it’s undergoing renovations. (Via Moceniga – Rosolina)
Oratory of St. Phillip and St. James
It was built in 1722 by the Vinelli Lords. Nowadays it’s known as the Mazzucco oratory. It was recently renovated. (Via Moceniga – Pozzatini, Rosolina)
Places of interest
It was built in the 18th century, and it construction was finished in 1772. It was probably used as a hunting lodge in the swamps. It has a main prospectus topped by a large curved pediment and a smooth tympanum. Two wings extend outward from its sides. It was recently renovated (1972).
(Via Po di Levante – Isola di Albarella, Rosolina)
(Via Marconi, Rosolina)
Coastal botanical garden of Porto Caleri
This botanical garden was created to preserve the coastal environment, as it originally was. It also has an informative purpose, and it allows tourists to discover the natural environment. The garden contains pinewoods and a thermophile forest with holm and elm trees. It also protects plats that have stopped growing almost everywhere else, such as wild orchids.
(Via Porto Caleri – Rosolina)
The beach is covered by a thick pinewood and by mediterranean woods of holm and durmast. The beach is about 8km long, and it covers the Rosolina Mare peninsula. (Rosolina Mare)
The valley is covered in reeds. Harriers, swamp harriers, and the sometimes the rare osprey fly overhead. Sometimes the shelduck and the red-crested pochard may be seen. Herons, little egrets, and seagulls are more common.
Via delle Valli
This is a panoramic road that goes through the valleys. It’s the only landmark in either land or water. It offers beautiful views of the landscape and of nature. Ospreys, harriers, herons, and little egrets can be seen.
The island is 3.5 km long and 1.5 km wide. It is believed that the accumulation of debris carried by the floods of the Po River led to its formation. An estimated 2 million trees of 150 different species cover it. The island can be accessed through an artificial bridge, but the entrance is private. The economic development of Albarella began in the sixties, when it was suggested as a possible destination for Elite tourism. It was developed mostly by the Marcegaglia group that acquired ownership of the island.
The paleo-dunes are small hills, about 10m high, known as “Montoni” or “Monti de sabia”. They were formed by the wind, which moved the coastal sand. The vegetation is thermophile shrubbery and holm, with a thick underbrush. There are various species of birds and small mammals. (Via Aldo Moro – Volto di Rosolina)
In the 12th century, after the rout of Ficarolo, the Po River split into two main branches. One of these flowed into the sea in Rosolina. The dirt it carried pushed the coast further, creating the present landscape. Despite the work done in Porto Viro (September 16th 1604), that deviated the river into Sacca di Goro, the debris still threatened to fill the southern ports with earth. The Po di Fornaci was blocked in 1604. This limited the water flow in Rosolina, and it limited the mainland’s growth. When new land was formed, the Venetian Republic would seize it and auction it off. They were purchased by the Venetian nobility: their names still remain in places such as Ca’ Diedo, Ca’Morosini, Moceniga, Veniera, Sagreda, and others. Rosolina was integrated into Loreo un to 1806, when it became independent. It was reunited with Loreo in 1811. In 1816 it became a municipality, but in 1929 it reverted to being a hamlet of Loreo. It regained its municipal autonomy in 1949.
Pro Loco Rosolina
Via Popolo, 1