Churches and places of worship
Parish Church of the Holy Heart of Christ
The first oratory of the Tiepolo family dates to 1739. In 1934 the current church was built upon the land given by the Protti family. The church’s façade is characterized by a large arch over the entrances. It has two coatings: the lower layer is made of marble slabs, the upper one is exposed brick. (piazza Milite Ignoto – Ca’ Tiepolo, Porto Tolle)
Church of the Holy Virgin Mary of the Assumption in heaven
It was built between 1952 and 1954. Its modern style is typical of the times of swamp drainage. It used to be the meeting point for farmers scattered in the in the reclaimed countryside. It has a simple white stone façade, with a small ledge over the entrance. (piazza Alcide De Gasperi – Polesine Camerini, Porto Tolle)
Church of St. James
This church was built in 1848, and it’s one of the oldest buildings in the area. The façade is comprised of a main body, with the entrance and a semicircular rose window; and by two smaller sections on the sides.
(Via Kennedy 37 – Boccasette, Porto Tolle)
Church of St. Nicolò
This church contains a large organ built in Venice by Giacomo Bazzani, in 1887. The current church was built in 1851. The previous one, by what is now the ferry moor, was built in 1684. It was destroyed by a flood. It’s the oldest church in the area.
(piazza Martiri della Libertà – Ca’ Venier, Porto Tolle)
Church of St. Domenico Savio
It was built between 1956 and 1958. It’s characterized by a concrete portico that unites the church and its brick bell tower, which is on the church’s right side. The façade is formed by various brick textures. The internal walls have a series of cross-shaped windows. (via Buozzi 5 – Ca’ Mello, Porto Tolle)
Church of the Holy Virgin of the Rosary
This modern-style church dates to the sixties. It was built by the previous 18th century building, which was damaged by the floods. The only decorations on the simple, exposed brick façade, are four high-relief tablets. (Piazza Monumento Caduti – Tolle, Porto Tolle)
Church of the Holy Redeemer
It was built in 1935. Its style is Romanic. The façade is entirely made of exposed brick.
(via Roma 139 – Scardovari, Porto Tolle)
Oratory by Tiepolo Palace – Tiepolo Palace
It was built in 1736 by Marin Tiepolo’s heirs for worship purposes. Nowadays it isn’t used for its original purpose anymore: it’s used for storage. (Ca’ Tiepolo, Porto Tolle)
Oratory of St. George the Martyr
(San Giorgio, Porto Tolle)
Small oratory by the Cà Venier agricultural complex
From the 18th century.
(Ca’ Venier, Porto Tolle)
Porto Tolle Documentation Center of Farming Civilization
This museum’s purpose is to keep record of the traditions and history of the town. It allows young people to see what their grandparents’ lives were like, and it shows them the objects of everyday life. The museum has exhibits with tools, pictures and other sources that represent the work and everyday life of farming society: sowing and harvest of wheat, rice and beetroot; fishing; jobs such as carpenter, blacksmith, typist, barbet, etc.; everyday life (kitchen, bedroom), children’s toys; school supplies; etc.
Via Ugo Giordano
45018 Porto Tolle (RO)
Information & Reservations:
PRO LOCO – L.go Europa, 1, 45018 Porto Tolle (Ro) – tel. 0426 81150 – fax 0426 380 584
MUNICIPAL LIBRARY – V.le G. di Vittorio, 18/bis – tel. 0426 380833, fax 0426 380789
Visits are available only upon phone reservation
Places of interest
It was built in the second half of the 1600s by Antonio Francesco Farsetti. Its architectural characteristics show it underwent a radical transformation in the early 1900s. The manor house is flanked by a farmhouse on the east and by a service building and a small oratory on the west. The oratory was built on a later date, during the mansion’s renovation.
(Ca’ Tiepolo – Porto Tolle)
Protti Palace (Ca’ Tiepolo)
Manor house flanked by a service building, grain storage, warehouse, and oratory. It was built by the Tiepolo in the early 1700s. It has been widely renovated, and it currently houses a farm. The manor house contains stores and offices.
(Ca’ Tiepolo – Porto Tolle)
The Manor house and its farming building were built in the early 1900s by the Avanzo family. It was set on fire by the Germans in World War II. It was renovated in 1945, then in the late ‘90s.
(Scardovari – Porto Tolle)
This 19th century Austrian barracks was remodeled in the early 20th century. It was renovated in the ‘90s.
(Ca’ Tiepolo – Porto Tolle)
It was built in the second half of the 1700s by the Zulian family. It’s comprised by the manor house and by four other buildings on its eastern and northern sides. It’s still used as a farm. (Ca’ Zuliani – Porto Tolle)
It was built by Duke Luigi Camerini in the late 1800s. The complex has a south-facing main building with two side wings that were used as granaries, cellars, and storerooms. It also has some service buildings that served as warehouses and as housing for the workers. The farm has a very large terracotta threshing floor. Currently it’s in a state of neglect. (Polesine Camerini – Porto Tolle)
The complex was built by the Dolfin counts in the early 1700s. It composed by a manor house and by a service building on its western side. The building has been renovated in the first half of the 1800s, and in the 1950s. These renovations expanded and hanged the house. (Ca’ Dolfin – Porto Tolle)
It was built in the late 1600s by the Venier family, which were part of the Venetian nobility. It includes a manor house and a stable, aligned to but separated from a storage building. These buildings form an “L” around a large open space with a threshing floor and a meadow. (Ca’ Venier – Porto Tolle)
Before World War One the Pila Lighthouse was in the Pila village. This shows how much dry land has encroached upon the sea. It was built in 1885 and destroyed by the German troops during their retreat. Even the new lighthouse is a few kilometers from the mouth of the Great Po or Venice Po. This is a result of the accumulation of debris. (Pila – Porto Tolle)
These are islands or peninsulas that range from tens to hundreds of meters in width and up to kilometers in length. They’re formed by the sand, first brought to the sea by rivers, and then shaped by the wind and the waves. They protect the lagoons from the power of the sea. They’re beautiful: the side closest to the sea has wave-swept beaches; the other side is covered in plants that tolerate the brackish water, such as the reeds that grow in the lagoon. This is a nesting place for seagulls, terns and oystercatchers. The largest and most solid of the “scanni” is the Scano Boa island. It can only be reached when travelling by water. Three large houses, built with reeds, are here. They’re still inhabited during the fishing season.
These bodies of water are separated from the sea by the “scanni” sandbars. They’re usually shallow, and the river and sea waters mix and become brackish. The lagoon environment is shaped by the sea, the river, the weather, and by manmade changes. The lagoon’s shape is constantly changing. In the Delta there are many lagoons. Some have a surface of only a few hundred hectares, such as the Burcio and Basson lagoons. The Sacca Degli Scardovari, instead, has a surface of over 2000 hectares.
These places are perfect for nature lovers and birdwatchers.
This environment is mostly dunes and woodland. It has three trails, and a wetland with ponds, canals and observation points is nearby.
The Ca’ Mello wetland is a place where many bird species rest and nest.
Volta Vaccari Oasis
A thick wood with willow, poplar and ash trees. Its floodplain houses many bird species.
It connects the Santa Giulia and Gorino Sullam hamlets on the Po Di Gnocca canal. (S.Giulia – Porto Tolle)
It connects the Boccasette and Scanarello hamlets on the Po Di Maistra canal. (Boccasette – Porto Tolle)
The fishing valleys are brackish and shallow bodies of water. Instead of facing the sea, they communicate with the lagoons through a number of water locks and siphons. They draw their water from the lagoons, but the two are different: the Fishing Valleys’ waters and environment are managed by man. Birds are present in all seasons.
Since 1867 its name has been San Nicolò d’Ariano, to honor the patron saint of sailors. The current name comes from “porto” (port) and “Tolle” (from the Po of Tolle). Surface-wise, it’s one of the largest municipalities in Italy. It has 18 hamlets. The land was created by the Venetians in 1597 through the Silvestri project. To keep the debris carried by the Po River from filling the Venetian lagoon, a huge operation moved the river’s course. It was moved from Porto Viro to Sacca di Goro with a 12 mile long canal. In 1797, when the Venetian Republic fell at the hands of the French invaders, it joined the Ferrrara province. The Austrian rule brought it back into Veneto in 1815. In 1866 it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. During World War II it witnessed partisan warfare. The 1951 and 1966 floods were very damaging.
Consorzio Pro Loco Delta del Po
Piazza Largo Europa, 2
Tel. 0426 81150-3482208400 – Fax 0426 81150
Pro Loco Porto Tolle
Piazza Ciceruacchio, 1
Tel. 0426 247276 – Fax 0426 81150
Bike ride in the Po Delta Park
April – Po Delta
Mussel Festival – Organized by the town committee – Santa Giulia
S. Mary of Assumption Festival – Organized by the town committee – Polesine Camerini
Late May – June
Sacred Heart Festival – Organized by the town committee – Ca’Tiepolo
Fair of St. Peter and St. Paul – Organized by the town committee – Scardovari
Ca’ Zuliani Fair – Organized by the town committee – Ca’Zuliani
Tolle Town Fair – Organized by the town committee – Tolle
Donzella Fair – Organized by the town committee – Donzella
St. James Fair – Organized by the town committee – Boccasette
Melon Festival – Organized by the town committee – Ca’Mello
Late July – August
Fish Festival – Organized by the town committee – Pila
Ca’ Venier Festival – Organized by the town committee – Ca’Venier
Musicassociando – by Gruppo Giovani I Calabroni – Ca’Tiepolo
Delta Fair – Ca’ Tiepolo
Christmas in the Tent – Ca’ Tiepolo
December – January 6th