Churches and places of worship
Church of St. Andrew the Apostle
It was built in 1638-1642. The façade is neoclassical, while the interior is baroque. It has a single nave with four side altars. The main altar is embellished by two praying angles and by a golden wood canopy. The ceiling is decorated by a fresco of “the three theological virtues” by the Rovigo painter Pietro Benatelli (1776-1849). (Piazza Torquato Fraccon – Pontecchio Polesine)
Oratory of St. Peter
It was built between the 17th and 18th centuries by the Grimani noble family.
(Via Borgo, 1 – Pontecchio Polesine)
Oratory of St. Rocco
It was built in the 18th century by the noble Foscarini family. The interior is decorated by frescoes.
(Via G. Marconi, 1074 – Pontecchio Polesine)
Oratory of St. Ann and St. Gregorio Barbarigo
It was built in the 18th century, then renovated multiple times.
(Via D. Alighieri, 122 – Pontecchio Polesine)
Places of interest
Foscarini Villa, now Nicoli-Occari Villa
In the early 1700s, the villa was the holiday residence of the noble Foscarini family of Venice.
(via Roma, 462 – Pontecchio Polesine)
Villa Foscarini, now Villa Prearo
The underground basement, with a vaulted ceiling, is worthy of interest. A century-old mulberry tree is in the garden. It’s recorded among the 39 monumental tree in Polesine.
(via Roma – Pontecchio Polesine)
Villa Cappello, now Villa Andriotto
From the 17th century.
(via Olmo, 33 – Pontecchio Polesine)
Villa Cappello now Villa Rama
It dates back to the early 1600s. It’s comprised of two identical sides, and its design is horizontal, as the large wings and balcony show. On one side is the Oratory of the Holy Virgin of Health.
(Via Roma, 44 – Pontecchio Polesine)
Villa Salvioni, now Villa Fracasso
This complex dates back to the 17th century. It’s comprised of a manor house, by the oratory of St. John the Baptist, some faming sheds and by a dovehouse.
(via Gramsci, 531 – Pontecchio Polesine)
Villa Grimani, now Borile-Rossi Villa
The villa was built upon the ruins of an ancient Este castle. The castle was founded by Guglielmo III Adelardi of the Marchesella, son of Tarulfo known as the Bulgaro, around 1144. The present complex is n 18th century style. It’s comprised of a residential part and by two side chapels. (Via D. Alighieri, 122 – Pontecchio Polesine)
Its name comes from PONTICUS, (“small bridge”) a reference to the bridge on the Tartaro River. Archaeological finds show its origin was roman. Pontecchio is first mentioned in a 944 papal letter by Pope Martin II. In 1054 it was promoted to parish. The village was gifted to the Bulgaro family of Ferrara by the bishop of Adria, Benedetto I. In 1140 it belonged to Guglielmo III Marchesella Adelardi. It belonged to the House of Este until 1483, when, after the “salt war” it joined the Venetian Republic. It remained under Venetian rule, with a brief interruption from 1509 to 1515, during which it returned to the House of Este. Pontecchio was gravely stricken by the 1438 rout of the Adige. Its later history doesn’t feature any important events, and is similar to the rest of the province’s history.
Pro Loco Pontecchio Polesine
Piazza T. Fraccon 239
Tel. 344 1079624 – Fax 0425 492384
August – Viale della villa Grimani Borile
Plowing show during both day and night – Tractor parade – Static exhibition