Polesella

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Church of St. Mary of the Rosary

  • Church of the Nativity of Mary

Polesella’s noble past has left traces such as the multiple Venetian Villas.

Churches and places of worship

smariadelrosarioChurch of St. Mary of the Rosary
It was built in 1735 by the Grimani family and by the town’s inhabitants. The bell tower was built between 1742 and 1746. The church was renovated in 1925. It contains “Our Lady of the Rosary in glory among Angels and Saints”, a work of art by Luigi Battisti. (Via Don Minzoni, 180 – Polesella)

 

 

chiesaraccanoChurch of the Nativity of Mary
This Romanic church is hard to date, however its original core is probably from the 13th – 14th century. It was rebuilt in the 16th century, and then modified up until the 18th century. Initially it was the main church in the area, but in 1735 it was downgraded in favor of the newly built basilica of the Holy Virgin Mary of the Rosary. It was renovated between 1940 and 1954, and important fragments of 15th century sculptures and frescos were found during the work. (via Raccano – Raccano)

 

 

oratoriosgaetanoOratory of St. Gaetano Thiene of Ca’ Minio or delle Selvadeghe
The oratory used to be annexed to the Minio house, the agricultural residence of Venetian noble family. The probably built it in the first half of the 1700s. The building is well-proportioned, with a rustic façade. Its tiled roof has a small and onion-shaped bell tower on the front-left. (Polesella)

 

 

Oratory of the Holy Virgin of the Rosary – Val Siera 
The oratory was built in 1786 as the private chapel of Bellino Zamboni’s house. It was allowed by Pope Pio VI, as shown in one of his briefings. All that remains of the building are ruins.

 

Oratory of Our Lady of Health 
This family chapel was built after the Ca’ Rosetta Villa. It was commissioned by the Rosetta family for private worship. It contains a painting of the Virgin and Child by Jacopo Contiero. The wooden chancel was stolen. (18th century)

Places of interest

palazzogrimaniGrimani Palace
The Grimani family owned a lot of land in the Polesella area. Their mansion was in the central area of town. It was used as the town hall, but on July 19th 11892 it was almost completely destroyed by a cyclone. Nowadays, only its intercolumniation and a framed window can show its past glory. It used to be one of the most important buildings in Polesine. (Piazza G. Mateotti – Polesella)

 

 

villaarmelliniArmellini Villa
It was built in the 16th century, then renovated in 1634. The Armellini family descended from a Cyprian shipowner and spice merchant who had moved to Venice in the late 1500s. The villa still contains a 1636 portrait of Cardinal Francesco Armellini. One of its features is its almost cubic shape (m. 18 x 18 x 18). (via De Paoli – Polesella)

 

 

villamorosiniMorosini Villa
It was built in the 17th century. It was certainly inhabited by Francesco Morosini, the doge of Venice from 1688 to 1694. The pediment is baroque and the middle sector has Ionic columns. Inside the villa is a hall with 1500s paintings and another with 1700s stuccos. (via Selmi – Polesella)

 

 

villarosettaRosetta Villa
This 16th century villa has a façade with porticos influenced by Longhena, the architect. A family chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Health is also part of the complex. According to tradition there used to be an underground tunnel, which would now be completely buried, that connected it to Villa Armellini. ( Corso Gramsci – Polesella)

 

 

polesellavillaselmiSelmi Villa
It was probably built in the 16th century, then renovated in the 18th century. The complex also includes some nearby buildings, beautiful gardens with many roses, and a splendid park designed by Giuseppe Jappelli in the early 1800s. (S.S.16 Adriatica – Polesella)

 

 

 

camaierCa’ Maier
This 17th century building is rather unusual as, among its three floors, the third is the most ornate. It lacks the typical hayloft, and it has a mezzanine floor instead. The main building is in good condition. On its right is a partially collapsed service building. (via Magarino – Polesella)

 

 

 

municipioTown Hall – Former Augustinian convent
The building dates to the second half of the 1800s. The Custozza marble lion atop the town hall is inspired by those in St. Mark plaza in Venice. It serves as a reminder that Polesella used to be a Venetian municipality. (Piazza Matteotti – Polesella)

 

 

 

History

Its name comes from the Latin PULLUS (‘soft earth’) and it refers to the swamps created by the river’s floods. It was first mentioned in a 1296 document, which states it was a port upon the River. In 1461 it was given to the Ferrara Chartreuse by Borso of Este. Polesella was a strategic point during the “salt war” of 1482, which pitted the Venetians against the House of Este in a fight over control of the rivers. The duke of Este placed two floating bastions to stop the Venetian fleet under the noble Damiano Moro’s control. Here, in 1508, during the war between the Venetian Republic and the Cambrai League, the Venetian fleet was defeated by the House of Este. With the 1515 peace agreement, Polesella joined the Venetian Republic. The Venetian rule lasted for three centuries. This was a time of peace and of cultural and architectural wealth. In 1797 it became a French territory and in 1815 the Austrian Government added it to the Rovigo province. In 1866 it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. Polesella was hit by various natural disasters. The worst were a cyclone on July 9th 1892 and a flood in 1951.