Pettorazza Grimani

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Church of St. Joseph

  • Grimani Farm

Its name come from the imposing Grimani Farm.

Churches and places of worship

chiesasangiuseppeChurch of St. Joseph
The church was built in 1890, after the older church was demolished because of its proximity to the Adige River. It has a simple house-shaped façade. It’s crowned by a simple cornice of hanging arches, and it’s punctuated by four smooth pilasters. The church contains artwork that used to be kept in the older church of the Holy Savior, which was demolished in 1887. These are: a marble head of St. John the Baptist from the 1400s, and various 17th and 18th century paintings. (Via Roma – Pettorazza Grimani)

 

 

pettorazzasantuariomadonnagrazieSanctuary of Our Lady of Grace
This small 17th century sanctuary contains a 16th century fresco. It copies the layout of ionic-style roman temples. It has a single nave with a small presbytery. The renaissance-style façade is embellished by two niches that contain the statues of St. Felix and St. Fortunato, the patron saints of the Chioggia diocese. (Via Papafava – Pettorazza Grimani)

 

 

Places of interest

ro-pettorazza-grimani-corte-grimani-ricciuti-pettorazza1Grimani Farm, now Ricciuti Farm – Villa Boschetto
This farm complex was built in the 16th century, then renovated in the 18th century with grand farm buildings. It’s comprised by various buildings, among which the “Paradiso” (paradise) service building stands out. It has a loggia with 16 Doric columns made of Istria stone. The courtyard has two wellheads, one of which dates to the Gothic age. The farm was a self-sufficient center. In addition to the houses, barns, sheds, it also had a church, a well and a shared oven that was periodically used for the production of bread.  (Via Roma – Pettorazza Grimani)

 

 

History

The municipality was born in the Napoleonic era, as it was part of the statutes of the Cisalpine Republic in the eighth district, the Adria district. Its name apparently originates from the dialect “pettorazza”, that indicates its location at the base of a tower by the Adige River. Initially it only included the lands of the Papafava and Carraresi counts, on the left side of the river. In 1783, after work was done to straighten the Adige’s course, the San Giovanni area on the right bank of the river was annexed. It was fought over by Venice and Padua as they defined their borders. This lasted until 1519, when the two cities reached an agreement. A pillar, with a height and width of 7 feet and a fresco of the Virgin and Child, was built as a ratification. It was later moved to the Papafava’s small church. Its later history doesn’t feature any important events. It followed the rest of the Province in its course through history. The sanctuary of St. Mary of Grace was rebuilt in 1691, after it was damaged by the frequent floods. During World War II, specifically on April 23rd 1945, the building was damaged by a bombing that caused the bell tower, the parsonage and the roof to fall. Internally, some altars were destroyed.