Papozze

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Church of St. Bartholomew the Apostle and St. Carlo Borromeo

  • Golena Oasis of Panarella

The delta of the Po River begins in Papozze.

Churches and places of worship

chiesasbartolomeoParish Church of St. Bartholomew the Apostle and St. Carlo Borromeo
The church’s construction began in November 1842, in the place where another building used to stand. The bell tower is older than the church. It dates back to the 17th century, and it has a typical textured cusp. The bell tower was classified as a national monument in the early 1900s. Within the church are: an icon of St. Bartholomew, by an unknown artist; two paintings attributed to The Rinaldi, a 17th century artist; Our Lady of the Rosary by the The Scarsellino; a painting of St. Philip and St. James, attributed to The Garofalo. (P.zza Chiesa 10 – Papozze)

 

 

sluigigonzagaChurch of St. Luigi Gonzaga
It was built in 1857 in the place of an older oratory (late 13th century) that had become too small. The simple gabled façade is tripartite and locked up at the corners by Doric pilasters on high bases. It’s crowned by a triangular pediment.  (Via S. Giacomo 3 – Panarella)

 

 

Places of interest

palazzolardiLardi Palace, now Zangirolami Palace
This palace has three floors and 16th century features. It’s characterized by the pronaos on the main façade, which has two chimneys. The northern side contains the remains of an arch that probably led to a balcony. (Via Panarella – Papozze)

 

 

 

papozzevillaisolamezzanoVilla in the Mezzano Island
This 18th century villa is a typical manor house. Nowadays it’s in a state of grave neglect. Its pretty façade is still visible. The façade is embellished by architectural motifs that refer to the decorative elements of the holy building of the time. The villa faces the river. It has a triangular pediment with short pinnacles. The villa contains a chapel dedicated to St. Carlo Borromeo. According to tradition, he stopped in Papozze on the night between the 7th and the 8th of February, while on a trip from Milan to Venice. (Isola di Mezzano – Papozze)

 

 

villacattozzoMilana Court – Villa Cattozzo, now Villa Serain
In this peaceful environment Nino Cattozzo, a composer from Adria, wrote a lot of his music. Here Luigi Salvini, an internationally famous slavist, gave birth to his “Republic of Bosgattia” project. He was married to Mrs. Carrozzo, the daughter of the composer. His project took place in the 1940s. It was a free living, open air project, wherein men of culture from all over Europe met, until the death of the professor.. (via Marcanta 62 – Papozze)

 

 

oasi-panarella-2Golena Oasis of Panarella
The oasis is consider the gateway to the Regional Park of the Po Delta, as it’s close to the first branch of the Po River. It’s one of the largest and better known floodplains of the lower Po. It was instituted by the Papozze Municipality, which runs along with the Rovigo section of the WWF. It contains various itineraries that showcase its various environments: swampland, meadow, and woodland. The birds represent the main wildlife, as the swamps, meadows, and woods attracts a large variety of species. Not all of them are nesting and wintering: some are just passing by, as these environments are a great place to stop and feed during their long migration. 

 

History

Its name appears to originate from a Venetian surname of nickname, Papozzo. It refers to Tebaldino, who sold the entire area to the Quirini family of Venice in 1255. Its origin is sometime in the mid-12th century, after a flood caused by the Po River. It belonged to the bishop of Adria, and it was given first to the lords of Castel Tedaldo and then to the Quirni. They ruled it peacefully until the early 14th century. When Azzo III died, a fight for succession ensued. It involved the Quirini and Venice; the QUirini won. Francis of Este obtained the land, and Venice was excommunicated. Upon Francis’ death in 1313, the land was given to the Venetian judge Nicoleto Trivixiano, and Venice was absolved. In 1321 part of the area returned to the Quirini, but in 1395 it was given as a pledge to the Venetian Republic. In 1438 it returned, after various changes, to the House of Este. They kept it until 1597, with the exception of the 1508 war that pitted the Cambrai League against Venice. In 1597 Alfonso II died without heirs, and the land was given to the Church State. It underwent the French invasion first, then the Austrian one in 1815. In 1866 it became part of the Kingdom of Italy. During the two World Wars it was devastated, however the natural disasters were worse. These were caused by the routings of the Po River: in 1790 the riverbank remained broken for 16 months, and in 1951 a flood caused a drop in population.

Useful information

Pro Loco Papozze
Via Dante Alighieri, 5
e-mail: prolocopapozze@libero.it

EVENTS :