Melara

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Church of St. Materno

  • Church of the Holy Cross

This is the westernmost municipality in Poliesine. It’s on the border between the Mantua, Verona, and Rovigo provinces.

Churches and places of worship

chiesasmaternoChurch of St. Materno
This church was built in the 17th century, in the place where an ancient church used to stand. The bell tower is older than the church, as it was built in the 1400s over a preexisting tower. The church contains important paintings such as “Our Lady of the Lamp” and “They Martyrdom of St. Eurosia” by Paolo Veronese. (P.zza XX Settembre, 4 – Melara)

 

 

santa-croceChurch of the Holy Cross
This building has existed since the 16th century, and it was renovated in 1999-2000. This holy place was originally called St. Peter the Martyr. Its size is 22x8m, it has a single nave and a single altar with a choir space. (Melara)

 

 

 

oratoriosstefanoOratory of St. Stephen 
This oratory has existed since the 15th century. It was rebuilt in the 17th century, and renovated in the 19th century. (via Pagana – Melara)

 

 

 

oratorio_bvergineloretoOratory of the Holy Virgin of Loreto 
It was founded in the first half of the 1800s by Losi Pietro di Giovanni. A fresco that depicts the Holy Virgin of Loreto is inside. It has a bell tower.   (vicolo Capitello – Melara)

 

 

 

Places of interest

melara_palazzo_municipaleTown Hall
It’s topped by two pyramidal chimneys. It houses prehistoric archaeological finds from the Mariconda area (an Iron Age village). (Piazza Amos Bernini, 4 – Melara)

 

 

 

arcochigiChigi Arch
It was built in the 17th century by Cardinal Sigismondo Chigi. It’s on the opposite side of the bell tower, and it’s decorated with the coats of arms of the Chigi and Rompigliosi cardinals. (via Roma – Melara)

 

 

 

vpatriziaVilla Patrizia
Villa Pastorelli, commonly known as Villa Patrizia, is a typical Ferrara building. It was built in 1898. (via Garibaldi – Melara)

 

 

 

Villa Borghi Leati
This 16th century villa was rebuilt in the 17th century. It’s characterized by two large die-shaped chimneys. It used to be the house of the Viscount and Governor of the House of Este.

 

History

Its name, in Latin MELLARIA, originates from MEL (honey) or MELLARIUM (hive) according to some. It was inhabited since the Iron Age. Archaeological finds show it was a very advanced community. It had contact with distant civilizations, as evidenced by the amber and glass pearls that were found. We have bonze artifacts that date back to the Roman age, specifically to the 3rd century AD. With the barbarian invasions the town became barbarized and fell into neglect. In 752 Melara became property of the abbot Nonantola Anselmo, brother-in-law and general of the Lombard king Astolfo. A document from 999 tells of the existence of a castle. It was given by Adelaide, the widow of Otto I, to the San Salvatore monastery in Pavia. In 1266 the town became property of the bishop and in 1315 it became the bishop’s seat. In 1482, during the so-called “salt war”, the fortress was taken from the House of Este by the Venetians. In peacetime it was returned to the Este, who kept it until 1597. In 1597 Alfonso II of Este left the entire duchy to the Church, as he was without heirs. With the Napoleonic invasion of 1797 it became part of the Cisalpine Republic. The Vienna treaty of 1815 allotted it to the Rovigo province. After the Austrian rule, in 1866, the entire region was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. Throughout the centuries it was stricken by multiple floods and river rout. The 1705 flood was particularly grave.

 

Useful information

Pro Loco Melara
Piazza A. Bernini, 1
cell. 340 1005707 – Fax 0425 89230
e-mail: info@prolocomelara.it, prolocomelara@gmail.com
www.prolocomelara.it

EVENTS : 

 

Pumpkin Festival
August – Park in the manufacturing district 
A food stand with is open every evening. The festival features traditional squash-based specialties, pizza, a bar and gelato stand, a fun fair, exhibition stands, and much more…

Pizza in Piazza
July – Piazza XX Settembre

Fair of the Holy Cross
May – Downtown
Fun fair with stands in Via Garibaldi, food stands, charity dip in the parish in Via Cavalloti

Brusem la Vecia (burning of the old lady)
January 6th – Piazza XX Settembre
Bonfire and fireworks

Christmas under the stars
From December 7th to January 6th – Downtown