Lusia

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Church of St. Lawrence

  • Morosini Tower

On April 20th 1945, during a tragic bombing, downtown Lusia was destroyed.

Churches and places of worship

sanlorenzoChurch of St. Lawrence
It was rebuilt in 1796 over a preexisting church. This neoclassical building has three naves. The central one is the largest and it ends in a sanctuary with a choir space. It also has five altars made of fine marbles. The bell tower was added in right side the church’s perimeter wall. The façade was remade a century later, as recorded by a plaque on the wall. (Piazza 1 Maggio, 3 – Cavazzana)

 

 

chiesasvitomodestoChurch of St. Vito and St. Modesto
On April 20th 1945, during a tragic bombing, downtown Lusia was destroyed, and with it the church and its bell tower. One World War II was over the reconstruction of the town and of its church began. The work was supervised by architect Orlando Veronese. The building was finished in four years, and on April 27th 1958 it was solemnly inaugurated. In 1994 the new bell tower was inaugurated. (P.zza Papa Giovanni XXIII, 245 – Lusia)

 

 

Places of interest

torremorosiniMorosini Tower
It’s the only remaining part of the Morosini Villa, which was destroyed in the World War II bombing of Lusia. It was the tower on the left. The villa was an imposing palace, obtained in the 1600s from the renovation of a medieval castle. The tower was recently restored by the Municipal Administration. (Lusia)

 

 

History

The name comes from the Latin GENS LUSIA, to which Lusius belonged. He was the great-grandson of Mario, and he died in battle. Multiple finds prove the existence of a settlement in roman times. In 589 the Adige River changed its course and the land was divided in two parts. In 1079 it was given by Verona to Alberto Azzo of Este. It remained with the House of Este until 1297, when it was conquered by republic of Padua. It returned to the Este in 1354. After the “salt war” it underwent Venetian rule, and it was promoted to municipality. Lusia was part of the Cisalpine Republic after the Napoleonic conquest of 1797. It fell under Austria in 1815, and in 1866 it was finally annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. On April 20th 1945 it was completely destroyed by an Anglo-American bombing. It was stricken by several floods throughout the centuries. Near the remains of the bell tower, which was destroyed in the WWII bombings, is the votive chapel dedicated to the Fallen. A knotted pillar with four stems is in the main square. It supports the statue of St. Vito and two lions. It’s probably from the 15th century, and is said to come from Constantinople. 

 

Useful information

Pro Loco Lusia
P.zza Papa Giovanni XXIII, 1
c/o Comune di Lusia
cell. 347 5133289
e-mail: prolocolusia@gmail.com
www.prolocolusia.it

EVENTS :