Churches and places of worship
Church of St. Mary of the Assumption
The original 15th century building was first reworked in the 17th century. This is when the baroque façade, designed by Baldassarre Longhena, was built. It was reworked again in the 18th century, when it acquired its current appearance. The interior contains paintings of Venetian school, including artwork by Antonio Vassilacchi (16th century), Pietro Damini, Andrea Vicentino (17th century) and Antonio Marinetti (18th century). (Piazza Del Longhena – Loreo)
Oratory of the Holy Trinity
It was built in 1613 and it regained its ancient glory with the 2010 renovations. It contains a prestigious marble altar that depicts the Holy Trinity. The building is the headquarters of the ancient “Scuola dei Fradei” Confraternity of the Holy Trinity. It still meets to celebrate an ancient flagellation rite. (Piazza Del Longhena – Loreo)
Church of Our Lady of the Pillar
The church of Our Lady of the Pillar is one of the most ancient in Polesine. It was built in 1153, then renovated in 1553. It’s in a location with its same name. The remarkable building is the destination of the nocturnal procession of the “Fradèi”. Inside the church is a large votive painting that depicts the apparition and the miracles of Our Lady of the Pillar. (Via Madonna del Pilastro – Pilastro)
Church of the Fontego
This Picturesque and evocative chapel is from the 18th century. It used to contain a fresco that depicts the Holy Virgin of Charity. In 1739 the miraculous image of Our Lady was transferred to the nearby Loreto Cathedral. (Piazza Madonnina – Loreo)
L’Antiquarium di Loreo (Antique museum of Loreo)
This museum was born out of the necessity to make the roman site of Corte Cavanella open to visits. It can’t be brought to light in its entirety because of management difficulties and because of geological characteristics of the delta area. The collection is focused on the archaeological finds from the dig around the large rustic villa of Corte Cavanella. The artifacts in the exhibit are mostly kitchen pottery, luxurious objects, crockery and decorative items from the villa. The museum also features large panels that illustrate Loreo’s history. A second room houses the remains of watercraft. It also contains accounts of the tradition of naval carpentry and of the ancient commercial traffic.
Antiquarium di Loreo
Riviera Marconi, 53
45017 – Loreo – RO
Tel. +39 0426.336811 – Fax +39 0426.669186
E- mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Antiquarium is open on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 9:30 to 11:30
Guided tours for schools or groups of adults are available on other days/times. For bookings call (cell. +39 328 9513554).
Places of interest
Civic tower with clock
The tower is the symbol of Loreo. It dates back to the 18th century. It was renovated in the 19th century. It’s embellished by a pretty staircase. A turreted version of the town’s coat of arms is on one side of the tower. Nowadays it houses the Antiquarium museum. (Riviera G. Marconi – Loreo)
The Zago Theater is the only recent building in the historic downtown. It was built in 1891 over the deconsecrated church of St. Peter and St. Monica. The theater inherited the churches rectangular floor plan. In 1919 it was renovated, and the loggia on the upper floor was added. Other changes include the decorating of the hall and the ceiling, and the Liberty-style remake of the façade. It was used exclusively as a cinema from 1962 until it was closed in 1981. (Piazza S. S. Pietro e Monica, 20 – Loreo)
The porticos along the canal
Since 1694, these porticos have been the productive center of the town. A large part of the commercial traffic that was directed upriver passed through here. The buildings with porticos are evidence of the past Venetian presence. (Riviera G. Marconi – Loreo)
Probably from the 18th century.
(Piazza Municipio, 4 – Loreo)
This large rectangular stone building has two short setback wings. It’s clearly baroque. It’s also part of a large farm. The façade is decorated by friezes, and the ceilings are ornate. (Via Tornova, 3398 – Tornova)
Cà Negra Estate
It houses and important farm called Tenuta Ca’ Negra. This farm covers 500 hectares spread between the Venice and Rovigo provinces. It previously belonged to a noble family from Veneto, the family of Baron Franchetti. (Via Ca’ Negra, 2759 – Loreo)
The Papadopoli family from Corfu, who lived in Venice since the 1700s, purchased 10000 hectares of land in the small Retinella hamlet. The property spanned both the left and right sides of the Canalbanco Canal. This farm complex is in front of the dead-end branch of the Naviglio canal. It’s comprised of a group of buildings surrounded by walls. (Retinella)
Volta Grimana Oasis
This precious natural preserve is shared between Loreo and Porto Viro. It covers part of the Great Po and the Po Levante. It’s recognized and protected at a municipal level.
Former Prison – Library
The existence of this building has been on record since 1537. It currently houses the “Piergiorgio Bassan” library. The interior is peculiar: the walls and stairs are cooked, and cause an unusual sense of vertigo. (Calle San Marco, 11 – Loreo)
This area, once a swampland, was first settled in roman times. These were taken over by the romans, who turned it into a colony. They gave birth to the first villages. During the early middle ages it was under the Byzantines. It was then subjected to Venetian rule. This was a time of many crises and conspiracies both within and without the duchy. It was also a time of great land reclamation efforts. There were needed because of the constant flooding caused by the blockage of the Po and Adige rivers’ mouths. Towards the end of the 11th century Loreo grew, as evidence by the construction of several buildings. This growth was caused by the military agreement between Venice and Loreo. This provided the inhabitants with various privileges, in exchange for the defense of the castle, which was on the border between the territories of Venice and those of Ferrara. It was governed by a mayor and remained under the Venetian Republic until 1797, when the Republic declined. It remained part of the province of Venice under the Austrian occupation. It was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866, and it kept its jurisdiction over the Donada, Contarina, and Rosolina municipalities. It remained the home of the judicial district until the fascist reforms. In 1929 it was united with the Rosolina municipality. The 1951 Po flood caused grave damages and led many to migrate. This produced a substantial drop in the population.
Pro Loco Loreo
Piazza Madonnina, 3
Cell. 327 1911528 – Fax: 0426 669186
Bonfire with the Befana (old lady), “la vecia” that burns in the middle of the Naviglio Canal, followed by fireworks. Free drink tasting and various attractions under the porticos.
Third Sunday in June – Downtown, old portico, Piazza Madonnina, Longhena’s Square, Piazza Matteotti.
Multiple stands for the free tasting of bread, cheese, wine and honey. The art of bread making is remembered and reenacted. Finally, there will be fireworks over the Naviglio Canal.
Fair of St. Michael
Sept. 29th – City Centre, old arcades, Piazza Matteotti, Via Roma, Piazzale Europa, Naviglio Canal.
Since 1337 this historical event attracts many visitors every year. There are numerous exhibition stands. The fireworks on the Naviglio Canal are a staple.