Lendinara

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Main Tower and Praetorian Palace

  • Town Hall

Since the 18th century, the city has been called “the Athens of Polesine” for the artistic treasures it holds.

Churches and places of worship

lendinara-chiesa-di-s-sofiaChurch of St. Sophia
It was built on the ruins of a pagan temple in 1070. Originally it was used as an oratory by the Cattaneo family. After it fell into neglect it was expanded and rebuilt in the 18th century. The façade’s present appearance is only partially true to the original plan, as it was modified in the various renovations that took place in the late 19th century and early 20th century. The interior is formed by three naves and a wide apse topped by a dome. The work on the visually impactful frescos, by Giorgio Anselmi, began in 1796. The church also contains paintings by Mancini, Zanchi, and Fetti. The bell tower is beside the church. It’s height of 92.5 meters places it among the tallest in Italy. It was built between 1797 and 1857. (Piazzale Duomo, 4 – Lendinara)

 

chiesasagataChurch of St. Francis (previously of St. Agatha)
The church of St. Francis was founded in 1486. It was meant to cater to Benedictine nuns, and it was dedicated to St. Agatha. After various events the church was entrusted to the Capuchin friars, who dedicated it to St. Francis. The church has a single nave punctuated by Ionic pilasters. The deep sanctuary has two choir areas. The double-gabled façade is bordered by pilasters. A rose window is in the center. Below it is a 20th century doorway, with an architrave and a portico. The church’s interior contains several works of art. (Via San Francesco, 17 – Lendinara)

 

chiesasbiagioChurch of St. Biagio
The elegant and neoclassical church of St. Biagio acquired its current appearance in the 1800s. However, and oratory dedicated to St. Biagio existed in Lendinara since the 1200s. It used to be connected to the Umiliati convent. The façade is characterized by the four columns that support the pediment. The pediment is embellished by statues on its corners. The two side wings are bordered by wide arches. The 17th century bell tower stands out from one of them. The interior is divided into three naves, and it’s punctuated by imposing pillars. The side altars are decorated with palls by artists such as Il Lazzarini, Lo Zanchi, and Andrea Vicentino. The church also contains a “Visitation” painted by either Sebastiano Filippi, or, more probably, by Dosso Dossi, and some frescos by Aldiverti. (Riviera S. Biagio, 19 – Lendinara)

 

chiesasgiuseppeChurch of St. Joseph
This small and pretty church faces the south side of the Parish Cathedral’s imposing bell tower. It was built around the year 1500 and it was initially dedicated to St. Mary of Grace. It was the headquarters of the Confraternity of Flagellants. It was neglected to the point where it was used as a hay barn. The church was then auctioned and bought by Francesco Antonio Baccari. He had it repaired and decorated with paintings. He also placed precious relics donated by Pope Leone XII in the church. In 1822, the church was opened once again to worship, as the baptistery of the Cathedral. It was dedicated to the travel of St. Joseph. (Via S. Giuseppe, 7 – Lendinara)

 

santuario-madonnapilastrelloSanctuary of Our Lady of Pilastrello
It was built between 1577 and 1578 to honor an olive wood statue that depicted the Holy Virgin and Child (The Black Madonna). Apparently, during the diggings work, a nearby spring turned red and exhibited therapeutic properties. This drew in sick people from far away. The spring was channeled and secured in the Chapel of the Bath. The statue was stolen in 1981 and replaced with a copy. The interior of the church is divided into three naves. It’s punctuated by full arches supported by columns. The church contains various frescoes and paintings, including a canvas attributed to Domenico Rubusti known as Tintoretto. There also is artwork by Paolo Caliari (il Veronese), F. Moentmezzano, A. Trevisani, G. Chiacigh, T. Sciacca, and other painters. (Via Santuario, 35 – Lendinara)

 

sroccoChurch of St. Rocco
This church was built in 1516 as requested by the City Council. It was built in gratitude to St. Rocco for the avoidance of the 1511 plague. A convent of Serviti friars used to be joined to the church. Between 1923 and 1927 it became municipal property, and was turned into a Memorial for the Fallen of the Great War. The exterior maintained its 16th century appearance, while the internal walls were painted with was stories by Angelo Zamboni of Verona. The striking park “delle Rimembranze” is now in the place where the abbey used to stand. (Via IV Novembre – Lendinara)

 

 

chiesasannaChurch of St. Ann
The church of St. Mary and St. Ann is in a small and evocative town square. It was built in 1433 according to Anna Bollato Falconetti’s will. In the 16th and 17th century a Benedictine nun convent was near the church. In 1799 it was occupied by the Russians, who celebrated Orthodox rites in the church. The church was renovated in the 1800s, under Don Gaetano Baccari’s supervision. The exposed brick façade was renovated in the thirties. This was also the first public school in Lendinara. (Piazzetta Sant’Anna – Lendinara)

 

 

sangiacomoChurch of the St. James the Apostle
This church has existed for several centuries, although the date of its foundation is hard to pinpoint. The church as we now see it is the result of a renovation that took place in the early 1900s. The façade is made of exposed brick and its style is an eclectic mix of roman – gothic – renaissance. The exterior does not reveal the tripartite internal structure. The pall of Our Lady of the Rosary is on the first altar on the right. It comes from the previous church and is attributed to Gianbattista Albrizzi (1656) of Lendinara. All that is left of the old church are the 17th century altars. (Via Centro, 22 – Ramodipalo)

 

 

sandreaChurch of St. Andrew the Apostle
It was rebuilt multiple times over time. The current structure is a Latin cross. It’s the result of several interventions that began in the early 1800s and lasted until the early 1900s. (Via Ex Provinciale, 4 – Rasa)

 

 

 

sanbarnabaChurch of St. Barnaby the Apostle
It was built in the early 18th century over a pre-existing church. Its single nave and deep-set apse contain polychrome marble baroque altars, maybe from the previous church. (Via Barbuglio, 2 – Saguedo)

 

 

 

sannicolavescovoChurch of St. Nicholas the Bishop
This neo-Romanic church has a single nave with an altar on each side. It was built in the mid-16th century, then entirely rebuilt in 1927. (Via Barbuglio, 18 – Barbuglio)

 

 

 

oratoriomadonnasaluteOratory of Our Lady of Health
This small church was built around 1850. It has a nice main room that possibly used to belong to the Baccaglini house. The only altar contains a painted panel in its marble prospectus. The 1942 artworks depicts Our Lady of Health, and was painted by the Dalmatian painter G. Chiacig. It’s the copy of a 13th century fresco that has since disappeared. (Via Porta di Sopra – Ramodipalo)

 

 

 

Places of interest

teatroballarinIl “Granarazzo” – Ballarin Theater
The building was used as a corn and provisions deposit since the 14th century. It was purchased and transformed into a theater by G. Ballarin in 1812. It was then turned into a movie theater in the 20th century. Recently it was renovated and opened once again as a theater (September 2007). (Via G. B. Conti, 4 – Lendinara)

 

 

palazzocontiboldrinMalmignati Conti Palace – Boldrin
This Ferrara-style palace was requested by Vicenzo Malmignati, Lord of the Venetian Republic. It was built in the first half of the 16th century, and nowadays it houses municipal library, which was founded in 1787. The façade is simple and linear, with two classical orders. The lower one has a high plinth and a large arch portal topped by the family coat of arms. The upper one has a classical marble loggia, an elegant triple window and a terracotta cornice. (Via G. B. Conti, 30 – Lendinara)

 

 

lendinarapalazzo-dolfin-marchioriDolfin Marchiori Palace
It was built in the 15th century and radically renovated in the 16th century. The harmonious façade has three levels of windows, with a large triple windows and balcony on the second floor. Inside the rooms decorated with 1800s paintings (scenes from Divine Comedy) by Vincenzo Gazzotto. The palace also has a park with a pond, statues, and abundant plants. The stable is neo-Gothic. (Via Giuseppe Garibaldi, 26 – Lendinara)

 

 

lendinara-palazzo-malmignatiMalmignati Palace
This palace is located on the right bank of the Adigetto River. It was built in the 1700s by Malmignati, a noble family of Ferrara. Four elegant 18th century chimneys with marble domes are visible on the roof. The interior is rectangular and contains grandiose halls. Originally, the palace and its surroundings were walled. The Italian-style garden now has four green flowerbeds and a pond in the middle. (Riviera San Biagio, 53 – Lendinara)

 

 

lendinarapalazzo-comunaleTown Hall
It was built by the House of Este in the 14th century. It’s the Lendinara town Hall. The brick façade is divided in two floors: the lower one is a portico supported by marble columns; the upper one is punctuated by four rectangular windows. A niche with a statue of the Holy Virgin and Child (1618) is between the two central windows. It’s inspired by the Holy Virgin of Pilastrello. In the 1600s the adjacent 1501 Mount of Pity building was annexed to Town Hall. On the lower level is the historic Caffè Grande that faces the Palace’s lodge. (Piazza Risorgimento, 1 – Lendinara)

 

lendinara-il-caffe-grandeIl Caffè Grande (the great café)
It was built in the early 19th century. It’s under the loggia of the Town Hall, and it features stuccos and large rooms.
(Piazza Risorgimento, 1 – Lendinara)

 

 

 

lendinara-palazzo-perolariPerolari Palace
This Ferrara-style building is from the 16th century. It was donated to the municipality, along with the rich private archive it contained, in 1923. It’s characterized by an imposing façade. Nowadays it’s the headquarters of various associations. What used to be the villa’s backyard, now houses the Lendinara sports facilities. (Via Perolari, 54 – Lendinara)

 

 

lendinaratorre_orologioClock tower 
This tower used to be one of the castle-city’s entrances. It was turned into a bell tower, and the large clock was added in the 1600s. It’s characterized by a square structure, with four floors and battlements. The door is an acute arch.  (Via Cesare Battisti, 1 – Lendinara)

 

 

 

lendinaratorre-maistraMain Tower and Praetorian Palace
This is one of the oldest buildings in Polesine, as it dates back to the 1300s. It was born as a castle, headquarters of the civil and military authority first of the House of Este, then of Venice. It’s comprised of the Maistra Tower, which is 25 meters tall, and by a lower building with battlements and a large entrance. In more recent times, it was used as a prison. (Via Adua, 1 – Lendinara)

 

 

casasabiniSabini House
The Sabini House is adjacent to the clock tower. It’s an elegant 18th century building. Its design is attributed to the architect Don Giacomo Baccari of Lendinara. The ground floor windows of the façade have pretty wrought iron gratings. (Piazza Risorgimento, 21 – Lendinara)

 

 

 

palazzocattaneoCattaneo Palace
This was the palace of the noble family from Verona. They had lordship of the town since the year 870. The house dates back to the 1500s. The interior is arranged in the traditional Venetian scheme, with central halls and rooms on the sides. On the noble floor the walls are decorated with frescoes. These depict scenes from everyday life and rural issues. They were painted in 1715 by G. Boschetti from Udine. (Via Garibaldi – Lendinara)

 

 

villazerbinatiZerbinati Villa
The villa is comprised of a central part topped by a pediment and by two simple wings. It was probably built in the 16th century, and it was radically renovated in the 20th century. In the 1900s the internal halls were divided into smaller rooms. Once upon a time, the left wing housed a drugstore, hence the name of the building and the surrounding area: “Spiziaria”. (Via Centro, 8 – Ramodipalo)

 

 

casamarioHouse of the Mario family
The house where Alberto Mario lived and died is in Via del Santuario. Two plaques are affixed to the façade. The first one commemorates Aberto Mario. The second one has a bronze medallion that commemorates Jesse White’s generosity. He donated the Mario house’s orchard to the Male Worker’s Mutual Aid Society so they could build their first worker homes. (Via del Santuario – Lendinara)

 

 

lendinara-pontiLendinara Bridges
The Capuchin bridge between Via Perolari and Riviera del Popolo; the one of the Station, between Via Fava and Via Canozio; the bridge between Risorgiment square, and St. Biagio Riviera were either built or rebuilt in the 19th century.  (Lendinara)

 

 

 

arco-castel-trivellinArch of Trivellin castle
It was one of the entrance doors to Lendinara in medieval times. (Riviera San Biagio / Viale fava – Lendinara)

 

 

 

Monument to the Fallen of World War One
It was built in 1927 in place of the church of St. Rocco. It’s close to the “L’alboron di S. Rocco”. (Via IV Novembre – Lendinara)
Baccari House
From the 18th century.  (Via Santuario, 29 – Lendinara)
Worker houses
The worker housing of the Lendinara Worker’s Society, from the early 20th century. (Via del Santuario, 2 – Lendinara)
Villa Cappellini, now Villa Ferraccioli
This is a simple 17th century building. The noble floor has a balcony and above it is a storage floor. (Via Porta di Sopra – Lendinara)

 

History

Its origins lie in roman times, as evidenced by archaeological finds. Its name’s etymology, however, means “fortified land” in Celtic. It originated in the time of the barbaric invasions. In 870 it was owned by the Cattaneo family from Verona. Their lordship lasted for four centuries. They made the town into a thriving center with proper defenses. It was connected to many other areas through roads and waterways. It was destroyed by Ezzelino III da Romano in 1246. It was ruled by Padua, then by the House of Este. Under the Este rule it was equipped with a castle and it shone with its art and culture. In 1385 it witnessed the opening of the first pawn shop in Polesine. For three centuries after 1482 it was under Venetian rule. This was a time of relative economic and political stability. It became a municipality in 1495 and in the 1500s it received an incentive towards agriculture. This was thanks to the various swamp drainage and land reclamation efforts. In the 1700s it witnessed such cultural growth that it was called “the Athens of Polesine2. The French occupation was followed by the Austrian one and, in 1866, by the annexation to the Kingdom of Italy. The 1800s were a hard century, with farmer’s strikes and mass emigration. 

 

Useful information

Pro Loco Lendinara
Via Adua, 3
45026 Lendinara (RO)
Tel. 329 8607060 – Fax 0425 641303

e-mail:  alda.proloco@libero.it
www.prolocolendinara.it

 

EVENTS :

Miss Befana Polesana
January 6th 
Parade of witches through the downtown streets 



Children’s Carnival
Sunday before Ash Wednesday 
Floats parade through the downtown streets

Fiera di San Marco – Lendinara in bloom 

25th of April
Agricultural fair, agricultural equipment exhibition, exhibition market, themed markets, fun fair, local specialties in the square.

Tuttinbici
 (everyone on the bike)
June 2nd  
Ecological bike ride



Beer Festival

Third week of July



Night of hobby and antiques exchange exhibition 

August 14th 
Stalls in the downtown streets



Lendinara Fair September 

September 8th 
Religious events at the Basilica of the Shrine of Our Lady of Pilastrello; “Mercante in Fiera” handicraft market, fair market, themed markets, fun fair, local specialties in the square

Autumn flavors in the town square – Waiting for Halloween
October 31st 
Themed markets, local specialties in the town square, parade of masked children through the streets 



Christmas Village 

From December 22nd to January 6th
Small wooden houses that showcase of local products and gift items, hobby market

Nativity scene exhibition
December 8th to February 28th – Praetorian Palace

Living Nativity
December 24th – Piazza Risorgimento



Rasa Festival 
July – Rasa di Lendinara
Food stand, ballroom dancing