Churches and places of worship
Church of St. Domenico
The primitive church was built around 1500, and it was demolished in 1580. It was immediately rebuilt in the same place, but facing in a different direction. The parish church is dedicated to St. Dominic of Guzman. The interior is comprised of a single nave, with a ceiling frescoed by Giovanni Battista Canal (18th century). The organ above the central door was built by Gaetano Callido in 1783. (Via Guglielmo Marconi, 1 – Guarda Veneta)
Oratory of Our Lady of Health
The oratory is in the small Madonnina hamlet, on the road to Pontecchio Polesine. The upper part is octagonal. It was built around 1750. The small church used to contain an ancient icon that depicted Mary and the Child, of unknown authorship. The painting was damaged in 1945 by a shell fragment, and it was stolen in November of 1993. It still hasn’t been found.
(Località Madonnina – Guarda Veneta)
Places of interest
(Via Roma, 1 – Guarda Veneta)
Guarda Veneta was born after the 1150 rout of the Po River near Ficarolo. The construction of the new river banks led to an influx of workers. As a part of the Rovigo County, the village joined the lands of the House of Este in the first half of the 13th century. The Este lordship lasted until 1484, when, at the end of the so-called “salt war” it was annexed to the Venetian Republic. The Venetian government implemented land reclamation policies, the effects of which are still visible in the geometric layout of the roads and irrigation canals. This government lasted until the 1797 Campoformio treaty, which marked the fall of the Venetian Republic. The famous battle of Polesella took place during the Venetian period, in 1509. The Ferrara soldiers dug holes into the riverbanks by the small Giaron Island, near Quarti. This defeated the Venetian fleet. The French invasion was followed by the Austrian occupation. In 1866 Guarda Veneta was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy along with the rest of Veneto.