• Localization of the territory

  • Church of the Holy Virgin of Grace

  • Mocenigo Gradenigo Palace

The village of Gavello has very ancient origins, probably paleo-venetian. 

Churches and places of worship

chiesamadonnadellegrazieChurch of the Holy Virgin of Grace
This building is from the 16th century. It’s in Piazza XX Settembre, in the same place where one the ancient Benedictine Abbey’s chapels used to be. The abbey was built in the 6th century, and then destroyed in the 13th century by the disastrous flood of the Po Rover known as the rout of Ficarolo. All that is left of the previous building are apse and the lower part of the bell tower, up to the bells. The upper part was redone in 1928. It was renovated and expanded multiple times, and the current appearance dates back to the early 18th century. The church has a single nave and a sober baroque façade, with four Doric pilasters on a high plinth. The façade also features a pediment with a small rose window, a pair of large rectangular windows, and a niche above the portal with a statue of St. Peter the martyr. Inside the church are four marble altars and a terracotta statue of the Holy Virgin and Child from the 15th century. It’s attributed to Michael of Florence. (Piazza XX settembre – Gavello)



Places of interest

palazzomocenigoMocenigo Gradenigo Palace
The palace is from the early 17th century. It faces Via Giacomo Matteotti. It’s formed by a central part with free floors with a pediment, and by two lower wings on the sides. The wings are divided in ground floor, noble floor and granary. The left part has a portico that faces Piazza XX Settembre. It houses a business that may be accessed through the internal courtyard. (Piazza XX Settembre – Gavello)



palazzogrimaniTown hall, former Grimani palace
It was built in the 118th century. The current building, the town hall, originates from the Grimani Palace. Only a few parts of the previous building remain, as it was widely renovated. A terrace is in the center of the façade, with a high relief of the municipal coat of arms above it. It’s flanked by a pair of plaques. The older one, on the left is dedicated to the local patriot Alessio Beltrame. The newer one, on the right, was affixed to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Ugo Zagato’s birth. (Piazza XX Settembre – Gavello)



villa_menotti_cervatiVilla Menotti, now Villa Cervati
It was built in the 17th century. The complex imitates the Venetian Villa setting, since it has the same role within a large agricultural property. It recently underwent a conservative renovation. The interior still contains wooden ceilings. (Via Canalbianco superiore – Gavello)





The first settlements in the area are very ancient, either Pelasgan, Phoenician or, most probably, Paleo-Venetian. In the roman period Gavello gained importance because of its location on the Cabellum road, which connected Adria to Trecenta. Its history has always been tied to that of the nearby Adria, as it followed its vicissitudes. In the middle Ages it had an important Benedictine abbey. Among its monks the Englishman Beda stands out: he died here and was later sanctified. After being part of the possessions of the bishops of Adria, then of the Este, Gavello joined the Venetian Republic in the early 16th century. The Venetian rule heralded economic growth thanks to the land reclamation efforts. This was undone by the French and Austrian occupations and by the various floods caused by the Po River. Its difficult social and economic situation didn’t improve with the annexation to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866. It only improved with the second postwar period.