Fratta Polesine

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Villa Badoer

  • Villa Grimani Molin now Avezzù

Fratta Polesine is known mostly because of Villa Badoer by Andrea Palladio. The town, however, has vary ancient origins and is steeped in history and culture.

Churches and places of worship

arcipretalesspietropaoloChurch of St. Peter and St. Paul
It was built by a preexisting church from 1123. It was completed in 1682, as recorded on the plaque affixed to the façade. Its style is robust and baroque. The ceiling is frescoed. The altar pall is the work of painters from Paolo Veronese’s school. Other paintings in the church are by The Scarsellino and M. Bortoloni. It also contains statues by G. M. Morlaiter and artwork by carvers such as A. Brustolon. This church was built in the 16th century in place of a small medieval church. It was finished in the following century, under the direction of engineer V. Bertoloni from Lendinara. (Via S. Pietro, 1 – Fratta Polesine)

 

sfrancescoChurch of St. Francis
This church already existed in the early 16th century. It was dedicated to St. Mary of the Assumption. The building is an expansion of a previous church from the early 1100s. The remains of the literary man, mathematician and writer Sir Giovanni Maria Bonardo are kept in a crypt under the altar on the right. He lived in Fratta in the latter half of the 1500s and is the founder of the Academy of Shepherds from Fratta. Among the remarkable works of art in the church is the beautiful and artistic central altar, made of wood and attributed to Caracchio from Rovigo. The pall of St. Mary of the Assumption, in the center of the altar, is also noteworthy. It’s attributed to The Maffei. Currently, the church hosts religious functions as well as occasional Holy music concerts, important exhibitions and conferences. It’s the only example of Romanic style in Polesine. (Via B. Guanella – Fratta Polesine)

 

paolinoOratory of Our Lady of the Rosary of Paolino
The history of the Oratory of Our Lady of the Rosary of Paolino goes hand in hand with that of Villa Corner, now Bellettato. It already existed in 1552, when count Marcantonio Cornaro inhabited the villa. The private oratory was among his possessions. The complex is near the Canalbianco River, in the southernmost point of the Fratta Polesine municipality. It represents the construction effort of the Corner family along the Canalbianco River. Since 1765 a regular religious service was held in the oratory. The permanent priest was supported by the Corner noble family. In 1842 it changed ownership, as it went to the Crestani family. This was followed by a time of neglect under the Tasso brothers. The service dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary resumed in 1885 with the new owner, Leopoldo Maragno. In 1966 the Oratory was given to the Bishop of Adria and Rovigo. (Via Palazzine 4 – Paolino)

 

Museums

internomuseoarcheologicofratta
National Archeological Museum

The service buildings of the prestigious Badoer Villa have hosted this interesting museum since 2009. It’s the result of over 40 years of research. Here the history of the late Bronze Age villages on the bank of the Po River is recorded. The main core of the exhibit showcases the archaeological finds from the Frattesina village and its necropolis.

INFO
Via Giovanni Tasso, 3 – Fratta Polesine
Tel. 0425 668523
email : sar-ven.museofratta@beniculturali.it

OPENING TIMES
Every day from 8:30 AM to 7:30 PM
Closed on May 1st, December 25th and January 1st

TICKET PRICING 
Full 3€
Reduced 1.5€ (teachers, visitors ages 18 to 25), free for school trips, visitors under 18, and police
Free every first Sunday of the month

 

>> More information (IT)

 

 

museociviltalavoroMuseum of Manegium and Center of Documentation on Civilization and of Work in Polesine 
This museum stands out for its contribution in preserving and transmitting our past to future generations. It’s divided into a few sections: a documentary exhibition on the local Carboneria and on Giacomo Matteotti; a large collection of sacred images of popular devotion; a rich ethnographic section with a reconstruction of the typical environment of a rural household.

 

 

 

INFO
Via Riviera Scolo, 11 – Fratta Polesine
Tel. +39 339 1902065
E-mail: sistema.museale@provincia.rovigo.it

OPENING TIMES
Monday to Saturday from 9:00 to 12:30
Afternoons and Sundays require reservations
Sunday evenings from 3PM to 6PM
Closed on: Christmas, New Year’s Eve, Easter, August 15th 

>> Visit the Museum’s website (IT-EN-DE)

 

matteottiGiacomo Matteotti’s House
The Museum House allows visitors to experience the human and political story of an extraordinary protagonist of Italy’s 20th century history. The Fratta Polesine native also developed his first political commitment while living here. The museum is in what was, from the late 1800s, the Matteotti family residence. The first two floors house the antique furniture and part of the library. The attic contains and exhibit that follows Mattotti’s life.

 

 

 

INFO
Via Ruga, 1 – Fratta Polesine
Tel. 0425 21530

OPENING TIMES
Saturday from 3 PM to 6:30 PM
Sunday from 10:00 to 12:30 and from 3 PM to 6:30 PM
Guided tours on holidays from 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM

TICKET PRICING
Full price 3.00€
Reduced price 1.5€

 

Places of interest

villabadoerVilla Badoer – UNESCO World Heritage Site
The Villa was designed by Andrea Palladio and built in the mid-16th century. There are a few additions from the 1700s. The “Badoera” is the most famous of the Palladian Villas in Veneto. Its main body has an ionic loggia and staircases. On the sides are two porticos in the shape of an exedra. The interior contains frescoes form Giallo Fiorentino. It’s a unique example of a villa with an amphitheater-shaped colonnade. It was added, together with the other Palladian Villas, to the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The garden is probably from before Palladio’s times. It was decorated with a fish pond surrounded by potted citrus plants on stone stands, as recorded in the seventh century. The current layout was designed to favor the time in which the Villa was built. It emphasizes fundamental aspects, such as the connection with the landscape, and the compositional relationship with the architecture and its formal guidelines.

INFO
Via G.Tasso, 1 – Fratta Polesine
Tel. +39 0426 662304; +39 366 3240619
e-mail: info@villabadoer.it

OPENING TIMES
Saturday and Sunday from 9:30 to 12:30, and from 3 Pm to 6:30 PM
Opening times and days may vary depending on temporary exhibitions held in the Villa.

TICKET PRICING
Full: 3.00€
Reduced: 1.50€ (under 18, over 65, and groups over 25)
Free: children under 6, people with disabilities and a companion, journalists with card, military servicemen in uniform
Schools: 1.50€ (teachers enter for free)

 

palazzocampanariCampanari Palace, now the town hall
Villa Campanari first appears in 1775, in the maps of the Venetian land registry. It’s depicted as a manor house, located by the road that runs along the right bank of the Scortico River. The property was owned by Domenico Campanari well beyond 1852. The building consists of a massive central body on three floors, and of two shorter side wings. These are in line with the eastern side and behind the western side. The palace was home to dramatic events during the time of the Carboneria conspiracy. Over the years, the original character of the interior was completely lost. This is a result of the various renovations done to adapt the dwelling into the new town hall. Today the building is home to the town hall. It also contains an important historical archive. (Via Giovanni Tasso, 37 – Fratta Polesine)

 

palazzovillaVilla Palace, then Cornoldi Palace, now Fanan Palace
The palace is from the early eighteenth century. It’s characterized by a curved pediment with three pinnacles, and by a Palladian window with balcony. The interior contains eighteenth-century stucco work. The house was the residence of Antonio Villa, a martyr who died as a member of the Carboneria secret organization. He was arrested here in 1819, and he died along with Antonio Oroboni in the Spielberg fortress. (Via Ruga, 40 – Fratta Polesine)

 

 

villabelletatoBellettato Villa
The building is near the town, more precisely, on the left bank of the Scortico River. The villa was designed by V. Bellettato the urbanist. It’s consider one of the best examples of eighteenth century architecture in the region. This “title” is supported by the window frames, by the central motif of the two half-pillars topped by the tympanum, and by the care with which the main entrance is highlighted. (Via Bellettato – Fratta Polesine)

 

 

palazzogrindatiPalazzo Grindati, Boniotti sede de “Il Manegium”
The mansion was built in the 16th century. It has an elongated shape and three floors. The third floor used to be an attic granary. In the 18th century it was radically remodeled, then it was renovated in the 19th century. The building was donated to “Il Manegium” a volunteer group that conducts historical, artistic, archaeological and ethnographic research. Its research is done on the area, once called “Manegium” (hence the name). (Riviera Scolo Valdentro, 11 – Fratta Polesine)

 

 

villadaviVilla Davì
Villa Davì as built towards the end of the 17th century. It underwent a major renovation in the 1800s. Unfortunately, all that is left of the original structure nowadays are some service buildings and an oratory. Its name comes from the patriot and member of the Carboneria, Domenico Davì, who lived in the Villa. The façade is reminiscent of small Venetian palaces, with a loggia on the sides of the main floor. (Via Campagna Vecchia – Fratta Polesine)

 

 

villadolfinVilla Dolfin, now Home of Divine Providence
The villa features a harmonious façade, with overlapping pilasters and skylights topped by a pediment with side scrolls. It also has a central staircase and some service buildings. It used to have agricultural purposes. The villa was built in the first half of the 18th century. Here, in the beginning of the last century, the Blessed Luigi Guanella founded the most important charity in Polesine. (Via Don Luigi Guanella – Fratta Polesine)

 

 

villalabiaVilla Labia
All that is left of the original building is a small and elegant oratory. The current villa was rebuilt after bombing in 1945. It houses the middle school “A. Palladio”. The park is worthy of note, with its multiple centenarian trees. (Via Roma – Fratta Polesine)

 

 

 

villamatteottiVilla Matteotti
This is where the socialist Member of Parliament, Giacomo Matteotti, grew up. He was killed by the fascists in 1924. The villa is from the 18th century. It’s now owned by the Accademia di Concordi di Rovigo foundation, and it’s now a house-museum.  The museum is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 3:00 PM to 6:30 PM. (Via Ruga – Fratta Polesine)

 

 

 

villamontiviaroVilla Monti, now Villa Viaro
It was built in the late 17th century. In the 1800s it was inhabited by Givanni and Gacomo Monti. The two brothers were part of the secret society known as Carboneria. Another Giovanni Monti was born here too: an acrobatic pilot who won several trophies. He crashed his water plane into Lake Garda in 1931. (Via Beato Luigi Guanella – Fratta Polesine)

 

 

villaoroboniVilla Oroboni
In the 1800s it was the residence of Antonio Oroboni, a member of the Carboneria. The plaque on the façade commemorates his death in the Spielberg Fortress. There used to be a small oratory by G. Lista on the property. The tombs were used to hide the documents of the Carbonari sent by Villa to Oroboni. (Via Riviera Scolo – Fratta Polesine)

 

 

 

villaavezzuVilla Grimani Molin ora Avezzù
Its style is Palladian, and under this aspect it’s similar to Villa Badoer (“la Badoera”). The frescoed inside are attributed to the school of Giallo Fiorentino. It was built in the mid-16th century. An important luch was held here in 1818. During the meal, which was hosted by Cecilia Monti d’Arnaud, a toast was offered to the cause of Italy. It was the beginning of a chain of events that involved the Carboneria in Polesine, leading to one the most tragic chapters in our nation’s history. (Via Zabarella, 1 – Fratta Polesine)

 

 

mulino-al-pizzon“Al Pizzon” Mill – This is an example of milling, industial, and hydraulic archeology and architecture.
The location where the Scortico River and the Canalbianco canal merge, is near Pizzon di Fratta. This location is interesting because of its landscape, agricultural architecture, and industrial archeology. From the archeological point of view, two artifacts are important: one is the large mill (Mulino – Al Pizzon). This used to be the only water mill in the Polesine plain. It took advantage of the drop between the Scortico River and the Canalbianco Canal. It was probably built in the 18th century, and in 1841 it was registered in the Austrian land registry census. It was operational until 1962, and it retains its imposing machinery. The second element of interest is a navigation lock, whose gates still exist. These are evidence of one of the first waterways in Polesine. It was implanted in the mid-19th century, and the industrial transportation traced the same waterways used by the Venetian lords. They used to travel to Fratta in the 1500s to reach their Villas, such as the Badoer and Grimani Molin Palladian Villas. (Via Pizzon 945 – Fratta Polesine)

 

History

The first settlements in the area date back to the end of the Bronze Age (12th to 10th centuries B.C). The town’s name name originates from the Latin Fracta, which in turn originates from frango, which means an interrupted road. Another origin may be fractum, a deforested area. The town acquired great importance in the communications grid because of its location on the northern branch of the Po River. It reached a high level of civilization, and it developed agriculture, commerce and handicraft. It lost its importance as a commercial center, maybe because of violent floods. It regained it in the Middle Ages, when, in the 12th century, Guglielmo II Adelardi of the Marchesella built a castle. The town became a strategic center in the fight against the House of Este. It was the setting for vicious battles between the Este and the Salinguerra over control of Ferrara. In 1482 it went from the Este to the Venetians. The Venetian rule was characterized by agricultural development, thanks to their land reclamation efforts. It ended in 1797 with the French occupation. Then came the Austrian rule, during which the secret society known as Carboneria flourished. Many martyrs are remembered by Silvio Pellico in his book “Mie Prigioni” (My Prisons). The annexation to the Kingdom of Italy didn’t improve the population’s paltry living conditions. The inhabitants reacted by taking actively participating in farmers’ protests.  

 

Useful information

Pro Loco Fratta Polesine
Via G. Tasso, 37
Cell. 347 2448574
e-mail: prolocofrattapol@gmail.com

EVENTS :