Churches and places of worship
Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of St. Charles Borromeo
This arch-priestly church is dedicated to the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of St. Charles Borromeo. The original nucleus of the church is from the second decade of the 17th century (1609-1622). It was built by the parson, Don Bernardino Micario of Milan. The building was consecrated and dedicated to the Nativity of Mary on September 8th 1622. The temple was radically modified between 1689 and 1691 as requested by Antionio Sivieri, the parson. This was recorded on a plaque that is now affixed above the entrance door. Two naves were added laterally, a choir room and rectory were built on the western side, and the façade was built on the eastern side. The building was dedicated to the Nativity of Mary in 1825 and it was re-consecrated in 1888. Its style is typical of a basilica, as it has a very simple architecture. Inside, the central nave is topped by a wooden ceiling made up of 96 painted coffers. These paintings, from the late 1600s, depict the life of Mary and of St. Carlo Borromeo. A set of paintings of Emilia school is affixed to the recently restored side walls. This collection is from the 17th century, and it’s one of the best in the area. (Via Roma, 3 – Fiesso Umbertiano)
A feature of this village are the nine oratories scattered around the municipality. All are dedicated to the Virgin Mary, along with some liturgical or traditionally religious title.
Oratory of Our Lady of Health
It was built in 1621 after the plague, to thank the Virgin Mary for the narrow escape. It was renovated in 1884 by Lord Giovanni Bononi. On November 21st the Patron Saint is celebrated with a Holy Mass, a procession and a folk festival. (Località Capitello – Fiesso Umbertiano)
Oratory of the Visitation of Holy Mary
Built around 1580 by the noble Tassoni family from Este, this Oratory houses some interesting works of art from the early 1600s. These include a painting of the Virgin’s Visit to St. Elizabeth. (località Rezzo – Fiesso Umbertiano)
Oratory of Our Lady of Grace
Built between 1924 and 1927 as an offering of thanks for the ending of World War One. (via Cesare Battisti – Fiesso Umbertiano)
Oratory of Our Lady of Help
This oratory was built in the Nineteenth-century. It was bombed during World War II and then rebuilt true to the original in 1947. (via Chiavichetta Fiesso Umbertiano)
Oratory of Our Lady of the Rosary
This oratory was built in 1896 using the offerings of the worshippers. It was probably built over a previous temple. It features a recently restored altarpiece of high quality that depicts the Virgin and Child. It was consecrated in 1906. (località Busa – Fiesso Umbertiano)
Oratory of Our Lady of Good Counsel
It was built at the end of the 1800s, after an apparition of the Madonna on the nearby “Stradazza”. It is owned by the Ferrari family. (via Trieste – Fiesso Umbertiano)
Oratory of Our Lady of the Rosary
It’s close to the parish church. (via Trieste – Fiesso Umbertiano)
Oratory of Our Lady Immaculate
It’s by the preschool. (via Chiavichetta – Fiesso Umbertiano)
San Donato di Pedrurio
This oratory is from the nineteenth century. It’s dedicated to Our Lady of Health. (località San Donato – Fiesso Umbertiano)
Places of interest
Villa Colognesi, now an Emmaus community
Villa Colognesi (1780) was built by the Colognesi family. The architectural complex is walled, and its style is late baroque. It’s formed by five hectares of farmland, a villa with 26 rooms, some rustic buildings and an imposing granary with a truss structure. The façade of the villa is horizontal. Its style is clearly from the eighteenth century, as evidenced by the telltale decorations in the rounded pediment. The pediment is topped by three pinnacles. The building’s prospectus is architecturally pleasing, despite the partial reworking it received during the mid-19th century renovation. It’s framed by spindly Corinthian pilasters and by to old chimneys. Inside the villa are some rooms with stucco decorations from the late 19th century. The entrance hall is furnished with antiques. It contains artwork by the local sculptor Gino Colognesi (1899 – 1972). The villa is an Emmaus charity community since 1995, as requested in the will of its last owner, Antonio Mario Colognesi. (Via Trento, 359 – Fiesso Umbertiano)
Villa Migliorni, now Villa Breviglieri
It dates to the late 1790s. It was built by the Migliorini, one of the wealthiest and most generous bourgeois families in town. The central body is flanked by two slightly shorter wings. The complex has no noteworthy architectural elements. During the Austrian occupation (1813 – 1866) it was used as a barracks for the Imperial Gendarmerie.
(Via Trieste – 45024 – Fiesso Umbertiano)
Villa Morosini Vendramin Calergi
This villa is the current town hall. It’s a majestic building with a double staircase. It used to be walled and adorned with statues. The villa was built in 1706, and its first owners were the Morosini family, followed by the Vendramin. A few 18th century paintings by M. Bortoloni are kept inside. It was sold to the municipality in 1933. In the sixties it was renovated and it has housed the municipal administration since 1966.
(Via G. Verdi, 230 – Fiesso Umbertiano)
Villa Bononi now Massarotto
It was built in the late 18th century, along with rustic buildings and barns. Its style is baroque. (Via Trento – Fiesso Umbertiano)
The word “Gorgo” (whirpool) refers to a cavity filled by a small, calm body of water. This is caused by an overflowing river as it encounters an obstacle such as a riverbank, an older riverbed or a dune. As the obstacle is broken by the rushing flood, the turbulent movement of water digs a circular or elliptic hole in the ground. The wetlands in Fiesso are divided into two bodies of water surrounded by a striking cultivated countryside landscape. The wildlife is varied, especially when it comes to birds. (Via Traversagno – Fiesso Umbertiano)
The first settlements in the area are from roman times, as evidenced by various archeological finds. Fiesso was founded by a bend in a roman road. The origin of its name is the latin adjective flexum “bent”. The “Umbertiano” name was added in 1867, to commemorate Umberto I of Savoy’s stop here. The flooding caused by the Adige and Po rivers in the tenth and twelfth centuries made the S. Donato and Tessarolo areas inaccessible. The population moved to the main village because its higher ground guaranteed safety from floods. It was first ruled by the House of Este, then by the Church. In the late 15th century, after the so-called “salt war”, it was split between Venice and Ferrara. After the decline of Venice with its land reclamation efforts came the French occupation. In this time, Fiesso was assigned to the Ferrara district. In 1815 it was conquered by the Austrians amid strong opposition. When it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy, the social and economic conditions were poor. This situation was the result of the multiple floods and epidemics, and because of it many people migrated to Brazil. Only after the later postwar period was there some recovery.
Pro Loco Fiesso Umbertiano
Via Verdi, 476
Tel. 0425 741147 – Fax 0425 741147
Two Sundays before the last day of Carnival
Features: parade through the town streets in giant carnival floats, masked groups, a band, majorettes and various performances, confetti, balloons and toys, and free handouts of carnival candy.
Cozzo boiled eggs
Morning of Easter Sunday
Free hard-boiled egg competition for adults and children in the town square. The event has ancient origins.
Bike ride through nature and history
Third Sunday of May.
June 13 – Piacentina Location
Religious service and food stand with dancing.
First and second Sunday of September
Various activities: music, dancing, bingo, raffle, food stand