Ficarolo

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Villa Giglioli

  • Former sugar factory

The bell tower of the church of St. Antonino has acquired the nickname “Venetian Tower of Pisa” because it’s leaning so much.

Churches and places of worship

chiesasantoninoChurch of St. Antonino
It was designed by the architect Gaetano Barbieri of Ferrara in the 18th century. The façade was unfinished until the early 20th century. Like many other examples of religious architecture in the area, its interior is baroque and the façade is neoclassical. The church contains multiple precious artworks, such as Our Lady of the Rosary by the 17th century painter Ercole Sarti of the Ferrara school. The church is sometimes referred to as “St. Anthony” the martyr. The bell tower is 69 meters tall. It was built after the church, starting in 1777. It’s popularly known as the “Venetian Leaning Tower of Pisa”. (Piazza G. Marconi, 15 – Ficarolo)

 

oratoriosippolitoOratory of St. Ippolito and Monesi Court
The oratory was built in 1705. The simple interior contains a painting that depicts the “Madonna Assunta fra Sant’Antonio e Sant’Ippolito”. The artwork is from the first half of the 17th century, and is attributed to Scasellino’s inner circle, and possibly to the artist himself. The original eighteenth century altar, various furnishings and the fresco of a princely crown on the ceiling are all worthy of note. (Ficarolo)

 

 

oratmadonnacarmineOratory of Madonna Del Carmine
It was constructed over two previous oratories. The current building was built to fit more worshippers. It was blessed in 1842. A single portal overlooking the small churchyard leads to the single-nave interior. Some artfully crafted statues of saints and paintings of the four evangelists are kept inside. In 2011 it was conservatively renovated, bringing back its original appearance. However, like the Church of St. Antonino the martyr, it suffered minor damages caused by the 2012 earthquake. (Via Ermanno Giglioli, 110-200 – Ficarolo)

 

 

Places of interest

villagiglioliVilla Giglioli and Municipal Park
It was built in the late 1500s, by the will of the Arienti family of Ferrara.  After a brief time under the Schiatti family, the villa was sold to the Saracco dynasty in 1600. This noble family from Pavia kept it for a long time, until the nineteenth century. It was acquired by the Giglioli family, one of the most powerful families in Polesine, who donated the villa to the Ficarolo municipality in 1921. The elegant double external staircase is remarkable. Also worthy of note is the splendid hall with a coffered ceiling, wood beams, some stuccos and pillars. A large park with romantic landscaping surrounds the renowned villa. The park also contains monumental centenarian trees. The trees are apparently arranged without a specific order, yet their layout is the result of a careful study on the seasons and on the unrestricted growth of nature. The garden used to be much larger, with a barn and a forum. (Via Ermanno Giglioli, 340 – Ficarolo)

exuccherificio_thumbFormer sugar factory 
The sugar factory was built by the Giglioli counts between the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It was closed in the eighties. It has some interesting buildings in Liberty style, and it’s an example of the industrial architecture visible in the various abandoned sugar factories in the Rovigo province. This one was the first such factory in Polesine. It was opened in 1902 by the Giglioli counts, and it played a huge role in the local economy. It employed hundreds in a village with five thousand inhabitants. In 1982 it was shut down, and with its closure tens of families emigrated. (Via Polesine – Ficarolo)

 

History

The first settlements in the area were of roman origin, in fact it used to be called Vicus Aroli, from which its current name evolved. In the early 12th century it was overwhelmed by a disastrous rout of the Po River. The river left its previous course and formed a new riverbed. Ficarolo belonged to the Pope and, from the first half of the 14th century, to the House of Este. Their rule, despite a brief interruption caused by the venetians in the “salt war”, lasted until 1597. In this year the entire duchy of Ferrara returned to the Church State. The wars of the 17th and 18th centuries were followed by the French occupation. In 1815 the Austrian rule began, and Ficarolo was deprived of its municipal coat of arms. It was returned in 1863. The annexation to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866 did not improve the population’s financial conditions. The hardships caused by wars and natural disasters led many to migrate away. Only after the postwar period did the economy and society recover.  

 

Useful information

Pro Loco Ficarolo
P.zza Madre Teresa di Calcutta, 221 Cell. 345 1426268
e-mail: prolocoficarolo@libero.it

 

EVENTS : 

Feast of the Blessed Virgin of Carmine
July – Ficarolo main square
Various dance events, music, and theater

Sturgeon Festival
July – Villa Giglioli Park
Food stand with a sturgeon based dishes

Fiat 500 Gathering 
July – Villa Giglioli Park
Gathering, lunch, raffle, awards ceremony and farewell