Crespino

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Church of St. Martin and St. Severo

  • Town Hall

The square is dedicated to Phaeton, son of Helios, the Sun God. Tradition has it that Helios crashed on the bank of the Po River.

Churches and places of worship

chiesasmartinoeseveroChurch of St. Martin and St. Severo
The construction of the church began in 1754, and ended in 1754. It was planned by Angelo Santini. The church remained under the Ravenna jurisdiction until 1818. The new building was meant to substitute the previous one, as it was too small to accommodate the increased population. The majestic façade is typical of roman baroque style. The interior is divided into three naves with seven altars. An arch frames the apse and an altarpiece by Jacopo Alessandro Calvi known as Il Sordino. The altarpiece depicts St. Apollinaire, St. Martin and St. Severo. Artwork by Alberto Mucchiari, Benvenuto Tisi da Garofalo, Il Gandolfi and by Ippolito Scarsella known as Scarsellino are kept in the apse. The sacristy is furnished with beautiful inlaid wardrobes of briar root made by Pietro Bongiovanni in 1792. (Piazza Fetonte, 29 – Crespino)

 

oratoriosantonioOratory of St. Anthony of Padua
The oratory was built in 1793 by count Ippolito Migliorini of Ferrara. In his will (1725) he established a legacy of 60 scudi (Italian currency) for the perpetual celebration of a daily mass. (Via S. Antonio – Crespino)

 

 

 

Oratory of the St. Peter and St. Paul
From the eighteenth century. (Via Aguiaro – Crespino)

Oratory of San Cassiano
From the eighteenth century. (Via San Cassiano, 58 – Crespino)

Oratory of the Capuchin Friars
From the eighteenth century. (Via Capuccini – Crespino)

Oratory of Our Lady of the Chair
From the eighteenth century. (Via Passetto – Crespino)

Oratory of St. Lawrence
From the eighteenth century. (Via Selva – Crespino)
 

Museums

museodelleacque
Museum of the Waters

This museum is dedicated to the social life and to the work of the village. These businesses, now defunct, were linked to the nearby Po River. The way of life of the riverside, as it was until a few decades ago, is told through precious artifacts. It included land reclamation, waterways administration, and jobs such as fisherman, carpenter, blacksmith, grinder, guardian, and road worker.

INFO
Piazza Fetonte, 29-43 Crespino
Tel. & Fax 0425 21530
E-mail: cedi@turismocultura.it

Open on Sundays.

 

Places of interest

casaduetorriHouse of the Two Towers
In Fetonte Square (Phaeton square), one of the main squares of Crespino, if not the main one, are some particularly noteworthy buildings. One of these is the unusual House of the Two Towers. It was inhabited in the 1800s by Vincenzo Carravieri. He was a member of the Italian Carbonari revolutionaries and was thus sentenced to a harsh prison sentence by the Austrians. The Villa was built in the 19th century. (Piazza Fetonte, 13 – Crespino)

 

 

palazzocomunaleTown Hall
This building dates to the nineteenth century and is located on the square dedicated to Phaeton, son of Helios, the sun god. Helios is said to have crashed along the Po. The building has an impressive portico. (Piazza Fetonte, 35 – Crespino)

 

 

 

crespino-villa-dei-principi-pio-falco-ora-longhiVilla of the Pio Falcò princes, now Villa Longhi
This complex is formed by multiple buildings from various times. The princely house was probably built in 1620, but there are elements from later times. It was radically remodeled in the first part of the 18th century, when it acquired a neoclassical style. The stable building has elements from the late 1400s. The park has century-old plant and a private road that leads to the Po. It was the setting of one of the first revolutionary Carbonari movements in Polesine. (Piazza XX Settembre, 8 – Crespino)

 


Villa Marzolla

It’s a residential building from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries with stables and barns. It features neoclassical elements. In the garden is a cedar tree planted in 1885. (Via Trieste, 44 – Crespino)

Villa Sarti Savonarola now Gianesini
Built in the seventeenth century and rebuilt in the nineteenth century. The house was made from an ancient oratory. Some century-old trees are in the park. (Via Giuseppe Verdi, 20 – Crespino)

Villa Sarti Savonarola now Tisi
It was built in the late eighteenth century with agricultural purposes. The simple seventeenth-century Villa is surrounded by rustic buildings. The perimeter of the wall includes a chapel. At the entrance there are six pillars crowned by vases. (Via Giuseppe Verdi, 26 – Crespino)

 

History

The first settlements in the area were Etruscan, as proven by various archaeological finds. Subsequently Gallic and Roman villages took over. Crespino’s name appears to have roman origins, probably relating to the gens Crispina. In the Middle Ages it first belonged to the bishops of Adria and Ravenna, then to the House of Este. During this period it grew in prosperity and wealth, and, despite the war with Venice in the late 15th century, it remained under the Este until 1598. In this year it became part of the Church State. During the French rule the inhabitants rebelled against Napoleon’s troops. As punishment, they were stripped of citizen rights on February 11th 1806. The imperial decision was revoked only after the fisherman Giovanni Albieri was beheaded in the public square. The vexations of the French and Austrians combined with the paltry living conditions of the populace led to the birth of brigandage. The French occupation was followed by the Austian rule. The latter was characterized by the spread of the Carbonari. In 1866 Crespino was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. Later history is devoid of important events, and is similar to that of the rest of the Province. The most characteristic feature, from the monumental point of view, is the large number of Villas.