Churches and places of worship
Church of St. John the Baptist
It was first built between 1162 and 1167. It was then expanded and renovated multiple times. One of these renovations was in 1300, as reported by a plaque on the façade. Another restoration was in the first decades of the 1500s. The building was solemnly consecrated on July 2nd 1532. In the early 1800s the church’s ceiling was raised by another three meters. It was then frescoed by Giovanni Battista Canal of the Venetian school. (Via Umberto I – Costa di Rovigo)
Parish Church of St. Rocco the Confessor
The church was built between 1593 and 1605, as requested by the inhabitants of Costiola. They took the commitment and the financial burden of construction upon themselves. They also decided to support the future priest. The church contains frescoes by Giovanni Battista Canal (1745 – 1825) and an organ by Gaetano Callido (1782, his 189th work) that is still in working condition. (Piazza S. Rocco – Costa di Rovigo)
Oratory of St. Mary the Assumed also known as “of the Beaten” – Shrine to the Fallen for the Homeland.
The oratory was blessed in 1636, as reported by the inscription on the front of the Verona altar. In 1785 the oratory was rebuilt because it was unstable. This is probably when the exterior acquired its present appearance, with the small eighteenth century bell tower. The façade is embellished by three statues on the tympanum. The one in the middle is the Virgin with the Child. It’s flanked by two statues of lying female figures. On June 25th 1961 the building was dedicated to those fallen in defense of the homeland. The monument houses the altar of Verona, two confessionals, and a sculpted stone font in its interior (the original Oratory). (Piazza S. Giovanni Battista – Costa di Rovigo)
Ethnographic Museum “a l’alboron” of Costa di Rovigo
The museum collects, archives and raises appreciation toward documents and historical artifacts. These are related to the social, economic and religious history of Costa di Rovigo. The museum prides itself of its exhibit based on the seasons, as the socio-economic environment was primarily agricultural. In fact, by limiting access to food and raw materials, the seasons have always shaped life in farming communities profoundly. After a brief presentation on the Costa di Rovigo plain and its origin, visitors may follow the yearly productive cycle. The seasons’ work can be visualized through multiple specialized farming tools. Visitors can immerse themselves in the domestic environment and in the essential artisan jobs. As visitors follow the museum’s exhibition, they will learn about the history of this small yet ancient settlement on the banks of the Adigetto.
Palazzo Bighetti, via Dante 286 – Costa di Rovigo
tel. 0425 497272 (Municipio) tel. 0425 497107 (Biblioteca)
Open on Saturday (excluding holidays) from 15.00 to 18.00
Guided tours may be reserved for Thursdays.
Places of interest
The villa, which already existed in the early 19th century, was purchased in 1886 by Count Stefano Medina di Lastra. He ordered a radical renovation, with rather eccentric criteria that reminded him of his family’s Dalmatic-Venetian origins and of his long stays in the East. The work was completed in 1889. Externally, the main building is architecturally original. Its appearance mingles classical elements (the marble frames, the stern and symmetrical division between openings) and the addition of terracotta decorative elements on the western side and on the façades that overlook the back yard. A remarkable tuff staircase in Liberty style leads to the garden. The interior maintains its noble appearance. The villa is not open to visits. (Via Guglielmo Marconi, 11 – Costa Di Rovigo)
Its name clearly originates from its location on the bank of the Adigetto River. This river was the source of the village’s life and prosperity. As recorded in some documents, the settlement was under the Este family in 1115. It was object of contention between the Este House and the Pomposa Abbey. The fight was over a donation given by the Este to the Benedictine monastery of Murano. This dispute was solved in 1173 with the separation of the village in Benedictine and Este holdings. In 1482 the Venetian rule began. It followed the history of Rovigo hereafter. In 1797, with the fall of Venice, the Napoleonic occupation began. In 1815 it was followed by the Austrian rule. In 1866 The village was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy.
Pro Loco Costa di Rovigo
Via Vittorio Emanuele, 18
cell. 345 2787214 – 340 5645275
Fiera di San Giovanni Battista
Pro Loco Festival – Porto San Giorgio