Churches and places of worship
Parish church of St. Mary Magdalene
At the end of the square, along the main road dedicated to the soprano Rosetta Pampanini, is the Parish Church. The large church was built in the first half of the 20th century, in the 1930s. Its style is gothic-Romanic, an imitation of French style, with exposed stone. It’s dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. Inside the church is an ancient Pietà and a statue of St. Francis from the black plague period (1629-1639) in the altar. (Piazza Chiesa – Corbola)
Oratory of St. Agustin
Scattered reports in the Corbola Parish correspondence suggest the oratory’s construction began between 1664 and 1689. It was probably built on the ruin of an older oratory belonging to a convent or to a noble family. The point where the oratory stands is the highest in the village, the only place where the devastating floods could be escaped. It was used as a hospital in World War I and as a warehouse in World War II. The latest restoration, in 1996, was accurate and successful. (Via S. Agostino, 1 – Corbola)
Places of interest
House of the soprano Rosetta Pampanini (Via Pampanini – Corbola)
The villa is in Liberty style (also known as Art Noveau). It’s currently a nursing home.
(Via Roma – Corbola)
This village was originally called “Corbola Media” before the 1152 route of the Po. It may have been the gateway to the port of Adria. According to some scholars, it was united to Bellombra and Bottrighe, named respectively Corbola Superiore and Corbola Inferiore. Its name probably originates from “corba” or “corbula”, the basket for grain. Another possible origin is “curvo” (curved) a reference to the meanders of the river. After the flood of 1152 the Este affirmed their rule. It lasted until the end of the 16th century, when the area was annexed to the Church State. It remained under the papacy despite the fight with the Venetians. In the 17th century the community moved from its original location to Sabbioni. This new location, by the bank of the Po River, allowed river fishing. The village was first part of the Cispadane Republic and then of the Cisalpine Republic. In 1815 it was occupied by the Austrians. In the Third War of Independence it was the first town in Veneto, along with Ariano, to be freed from the oppressors.
Pro Loco Corbola
Piazza Martiri, 1
cell. 338 9734684 – Fax 0426 953112