Ceregnano

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Town Hall

  • St. Martin Church

The municipality is connected to Rovigo by a nice bicycle path that skirts the Adigetto canal.

Churches and places of worship

smartinoceregnanoSt. Martin Church
The church is named after St. Martin of Tours. It was built in the 18th century. The structure is formed by a single nave. The façade features two elongated classical orders and a tympanum. The latter is embellished by a lunette with a mosaic of Christ on the higher classical order, and by two statues on the lower. These statues are placed inside niches on the sides of the door. The one on the left depicts Saint Bellino of Padua, patron saint of the Adria-Rovigo diocese. The one on the right depicts St. Martin of Tours. (Piazza Guglielmo Marconi – Ceregnano)

 

 

chiesacristoalluvioneChurch of Christ of the Flood
It’s in the Lama Polesine hamlet. The church’s style is modern. It was built around the end of the century, with ample use of concrete. Since the wrong supply of concrete was used, the church was demolished between 1964 and 1965. It was rebuilt between 1967 and 1968. To commemorate the finding of the Christ of the Flood, the Sanctuary of the Christ of the Flood was built. The church in Lama Polesine, was built under the direction of Monsignor Ferdinando Altafini. It contains a monument to all the flood victims in the world. The festival of the Christ of the Floods is celebrated every year on the second Sunday of June with a solemn procession. (Via della Costituzione – Lama Polesine)

 

Church of St. Thomas the apostle
The church is in the center of the Pezzoli hamlet. It was built in the 20th century as a substitute for the original building. The bell tower is from the original building. (Piazza Giovanni XXIII, 60 – Pezzoli)

Capitello di Ceregnano (Via G. Verdi – Ceregnano)
Private Church of Aserile (Via Piave – Ceregnano)
Private Church of Palà (Via Monte Grappa – Palà)
Church of San Biagio (Via Carducci 78 – Canale)

 

Places of interest

Town Hall
It was the chaplain’s house until 1868, when it was purchased by the municipality. Its present appearance dates to 1897-1898. (Piazza G. Marconi, 1 – Ceregnano)

Villa Guzzon – Stella Esatte (Via Piave, 759 – Ceregnano)

Villa Passarella
Nineteenth century Villa overlooking the Canalbianco canal. (Via Vittorio Veneto, 2547 – Ceregnano)

Villa Procurative (Via Cimarosa – 45010 – Ceregnano)

Villa Tenuta Cartirago
From the 16th century, it was completely remodeled.. (Via S. Francesco – Lama Polesine)

History

There is little information on this town’s past. Its name reportedly originates from the roman goddess Cerere, the protector of the crops. According to others, it refers to the personal name Cerinius or Cerennius. In medieval documents it’s mentioned as Girignano, Cedermano, and Cirignano. In the early Middle Ages, the Polesine area and Cirignano were object of land reclamation. The work ws done by the Benedictine monks of the Gavello and Baltùn convents. The town was first under the Este lordship and then under Francesco di Carrara, lord of Padua. It was then ruled by Venice, until 1438. It was a pledge to a loan given by the city to Nicolò of Este in the late 14th century. The Venetian rule resumed in 1483, was briefly interrupted by a return of the Este and ended permanently in 1797, when the Venetian Republic fell. After the French and Austrian occupations and the revolutionary struggles, Ceregano was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. Worthy of remembrance is the fierce German retaliation on April 5th 1945, during the Second World War.

 

Useful information

Pro Loco Ceregnano
Via XXV Aprile, 9
Tel. 0425 476096 – Fax 0425 479210
e-mail: geom.r.sagredin@virgilio.it