Churches and places of worship
Parish church of the Annunciation
The church is a noteworthy work of Vicenzo Santini. Inside niches in the façade are four statues (St. Peter, St. Paul, the Virgin Mary, and the Archangel Gabriel). The interior is harmonious, with a 20th century fine marble floor in the shape of a Greek cross. The church contains various works of art including the following paintings:
The Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin (late 17th century), attributed to Giacomo Parolini. The Apparition of Saint Anthony (early 18th century) is also his.
The Ecstasy of Saint Francis of Assisi, painted by Stefano Fgatelli (early 18th century).
The true gem, however, is the Venerated Madonna of the Holy Birth, a precious polychrome sculpture from the late 15th century. Other paintings, sculptures, marbles and precious furnishings complete the holy building. The bell tower is among the tallest in Polesine (60 meters). It’s elegantly decorated by a double balustrade of white Vicenza stone. (Piazza Marconi – Ceneselli)
Places of interest
It’s hypothesized to have been built by Cardinal Peretti, who then became Pope Sisto V. The Villa was entirely frescoed by Anselmo Baldissara. The frescoes on the ceiling still remain. In the second half of the eighteenth century Giulio Peretti started the work to modernize it. The Villa was thus improved by a fine open gallery in the middle of the façade and by a newfound residential appearance. (Via Massa, 74 – Ceneselli)
In front of the church is the Town Hall. Its architecture is rigorous, it was designed during the Austrian Rule and built in 1868. (Piazza Marconi – Ceneselli)
The first settlements in the area date back to ancient times, as proven by the discovery of a chipped arrowhead. These first settlements were followed by Roman ones, according to the archaeological finds in the area. In the Middle Ages it was first owned by the bishops of Ferrara then by the Este family. Their rule was fraught with fights against the cities of Verona, Mantua and Venice. It lasted until the end of the 16th century, when the area was annexed to the Church State. In the early 1600s a large effort to drain the swamps brought growth. However, it was quickly nullified by the plague, which was introduced by the Landschneckts in 1630. When the pontifical government ended in 1797, the area was open to the French invasion. During the French rule it was part of the Low Po department. Under Austrian administration, it was part of the Rovigo province. The economic hardships worsened when it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. This led many to migrate to countries, such a Brazil, that were mistaken for better places. Only recently has there been a rebirth.
Pro Loco Ceneselli
Piazza Marconi, 1
cell. 347 8307667
La Festa dal Bigul al Torch
August – In the park area
Every night: food stand and dancing.