Churches and places of worship
Church of Saint Anthony of Padua
The church is from the first half of the 20th century (1929). The church is a remarkable work of art, one of the few instances of Neo-Gothic Revival in the Rovigo province. Two crouched lions, sculpted out of pink marble, are on the church square, by the entrance. They represent the force of good against evil. The exterior is majestic: the façade is made of bare bricks framed by terracotta friezes and arches. The interior is formed by one nave. In the central part of the apse lies the pipe organ that was bought from the Basilica of the Tomb of Adria. (Piazza Municipale – Castelnovo Bariano)
Church of St. Peter in Polesine
The church was built by the Nappi Counts in an area with many archeological finds. The church was founded in 1751. The façade’s style is baroque. The two bell towers are an integral part of the façade’s sleek and imposing appearance. The most important events that involved the church from 1751 to 1927 are recorded on a plaque on the right side of the entrance. The interior is formed by a nave with three altars. An important document, kept in the parish archive of the Church of St. Peter in Polesine, testifies that on September 10th 1923, the church became a National Monument. (Piazza San Pietro – S. Pietro Polesine)
Chapel of Our Lady of Grace
Dating to the twentieth century, it is also used as a small shrine for the dead. (Via Rosta – Castelnovo Bariano)
Chapel of the Blessed Virgin of the Rosary
From the end of the nineteenth century. Inside is a statue of the Madonna and Child. (Via Spinea – Castelnovo Bariano)
Chapel of the Madonna and Child
From the early twentieth century. (Via Argine Valle – Castelnovo Bariano)
Saint Joseph’s Oratory
It was built in the early twentieth century. It’s surrounded by a small embankment to protect it from flooding. (Via Argine Po – Castelnovo Bariano)
Oratory of St. Anthony of Padua
It was built by the Raisi Rocco family after the end of World War I. It was built in thanksgiving for the return home from the war. (Via Duranta – S. Pietro Polesine)
Civic Museum of Archeology of Castelnovo Bariano
The Civic Museum of Archeology of Castelnovo Bariano was born in September of 1982. Its objective is to spread the culture of our territory and to safeguard the archeological finds. Initially, some rooms housed material brought to light in the surface dig in the Canàr site. These are from the early Bronze Age. Later, as objects from other time periods, such as the renaissance ones in Tombetta, were dug up, the number of artifacts increased. The museum was in the town hall for many years. In May of 1999 the present venue, the Elementary School of San Pietro di Polesine, was opened.
Via Cavo Bentivoglio 5047 – San Pietro Polesine – Castelnovo Bariano (RO)
Tel. +39 0425 850202 – Tel. +39 0425 81281
Sunday from 9.00AM to 12.00PM noon.
For school and tourist visits, contact: tel. +39 042581281
Places of interest
The Gorgo Marola is a natural pond. It formed in the 18th century by the Tartaro River. It’s an area where many bird species stop to rest and reproduce.
The first settlements in the area date back to the Bronze Age. This was ascertained by dating archaeological finds that were dug up recently. These primitive settlements were followed by Gallic and Roman ones. In the Middle Ages the fief, which first belonged to the Nonantola monastery, was given to the bishop of Ferrara by Matilde di Canossa. She also had a castle build here, but it was later destroyed by the Mantuans. In the 13th century the area was under control of the Este family. They built a castle here, hence the name “Castelnovo”. “Bariano” reportedly comes from the Latin Baro, ‘ship’. The Este rule lasted until 1597, excepting the internal squabbles over control of the duchy and the “salt war” between Venice and Ferrara. In 1597 Castelnovo Bariano joined the Church State. This was followed by the French and Austrian rule. It was during the latter, in 1848, that Castelnovo became independent from the Massa Superiore municipality. After it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy, the economic hardship and the two world wars caused a strong emigration. Most traces of its illustrious past have been destroyed by floods throughout the centuries. The eighteenth century church in San Pietro nel Polesine, the archaeological finds from the Bronze Age, and the late 1500s ceramics in the Civic Museum, are noteworthy.
Pro Loco Castelnovo Bariano
Via Municipale, 21
Cell. 331 3644555
Bonfire with arrival of the Befana
Patron Saint Festival
June 13 – the village streets
Holy mass and procession through the streets of the town
Convivial lunch with musical groups
San Rocco Fair
It takes place over several days in the last week of August.
Food stand, funfair, music or comedy shows and various entertainment, market with stalls, tombola, fireworks.