Castelguglielmo

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Church of Saint Nicola of Bari

  • Town Hall

In Castelgugliemo you can dive in water!

Churches and places of worship

snicolocastelguglielmothumbChurch of Saint Nicola of Bari
This archpriestly parish church was named after Saint Nicola of Bari. It was built in the 16th century. The church remained unmodified until the early 1800s, when it underwent restoration and the original structure was altered. The ceiling is painted by Sebastiano Santi. The sacristy contains a canvas painted by Mattia Bortoloni that depicts Saint Rocco. (Piazza V. Veneto – Castelguglielmo)

 

 

Church of Saint Gerardo Sagredo
The first reports of this oratory are from 1608. The attorney of St. Mark, Gerardo Sagredo, obtained permission by Pope Paul V to build a chapel in his house in Pincara. A century later, the building was on the right bank of the Canalbianco, by the white Palace of the Sagredo. In 1868 it was given to the Castelguglielmo municipality. On October 25th 1942 the bishop had a new parish church built. In 1956, the church of St. Gerardo Sagredo obtained civil recognition. At the same time, the church was renovated to meet the needs of the parish and to improve its appearance. (Via Umbertiana 37/B – Bressane, Castelguglielmo)

 

Places of interest

comunecastelguglielmoTown Hall
It was built in the 19th century and renovated in the 1920’s because of a fire. During the renovations a clock tower was added..
(Piazza V. Veneto – Castelguglielmo)

 

 


villa-pelaVilla Pelà, now Villa Falzoni

The villa was built by Pelà Vittorio, Knight Commander at the time. The construction went from 1880 to 1894, and the new villa was named “Casa Nuova”. Its Liberty style, popular in the late 1800s and early 1900s, is unique in the surrounding area. The villa features a tower and a park with an area of roughly two hectares.  (Via Umbertiana – 45020 – Castelguglielmo)

 

 

Corte Padronale (used to be a customs house)
A tuff bas relief depicting the lion of St. Mark is above the door. This house marked the border between the Republic of Venice and the Este Duchy. (Via Alberazzi – Castelguglielmo)

 

Fun

castelbeachCastel Beach – Water Park
The park has a surface of about 60000 square meters, and it’s designed for everybody. Features include: pools for adults and for children; two beaches, one with white Caribbean sand, and the other with red desert sand; umbrellas and beach chairs; a relaxation area; a snack bar with gelato and piadine. There are plenty of water effects in the artificial lagoon. Those who prefer sports can play in the beach volley courts and in the beach soccer fields. Lastly, for fun lovers, is the fun hill. 

Open from May to September from 10AM to 7PM

Entrance and parking
Via Giarona 633 – Canda

Ticket pricing  (weekdays – holidays)
full price : 10 – 13 €

reduced price (from 100cm to 140cm) : 8 – 11 €

full afternoon (from 2PM) : 8 – 11 €

reduced (from 100cm to 140cm) afternoon (from 2PM): 7 – 8 €

Children under 100cm and fully disabled people : free

groups : 6 €

> Visit the park’s website

 

History

The first reports of Castelguglielmo are from the 10th century. They mention an area named Villa Manegii, which probably included the nearby San Basilio too. This settlement had a castle and a church dedicated to Saint Nicolò. This was a border area for centuries, so the presence of castles was strategically important. Guglielmo III of the Adelardi Marcheselli (governor of Ferrara) decided to rebuild the existing castle in 1146. It was probably a ruin by then. He renabed the building Castel Guglielmo after himself. In the Middle Ages, after the Po flood of 1151 and the fights between Guelphs and Ghibellines, the area joined the Republic of Venice. This happened in the late 14th century. The land reclamation begun by the Este was carried on, and as a result the economy improved. The house of Este returned briefly, but the Venetian rule ended definitively in 1797. The castle was rebuilt, and remained in the same position until 1780, when the tower fell after the collapse of the supporting walls. The only remains of the castle are the foundations, now covered by the buildings around the square. In the following years the town was damaged by a storm and by the flood of the Mincio during the French invasion. At this time it was annexed to the Ferrara province. Other misfortunes include famines and epidemics during the Austrian rule. Things begun to slowly improve during the Kingdom of Italy. The flood of the Po, on November 14th 1951, had a great impact on the town. Over half the population migrated: most of the inhabitants were temporarily evacuated to other cities, but the majority never came back.

 

Useful information

Pro Loco Castelguglielmo
Piazza Vittorio Veneto, 307
Cell. 347 0452724 – Fax 0425 707117
e-mail: info@prolococastelguglielmo.it
www.prolococastelguglielmo.it