Churches and places of worship
Church of St. Michael the Archangel
It was built in the 17th century and in the following centuries it was radically reworked. The apse was entirely redone in 1828 and at the same time three new altars were added. These altars, a main one and two side ones, came from the demolished Vangadizza abbey. In 1832 “The Archangel St. Michael casting the rebel angels from paradise” was painted on the ceiling by Sebastiano Santi from Murano. The façade of the church was designed by the engineer Silvio Adami in the late 19th century. It was damaged in the 2012 earthquake, and its bell tower was already leaning. (Piazza Dante Alighieri, 20 – Canda)
Our Lady of the Hearts Chapel
It was built as an oratory on Nani property by Count Filippo Nani. In 1739 the church and its small baroque bell tower were completed and ready for the opening ceremony. The civil and religious authorities authorized its use in 1741. The bishop of Adria, Soffietti, allowed its opening, and had the parson of Canda bless the oratory. Thanks to an 1884 description, we know it had a terracotta altar and a fresco of Mary and Baby Jesus on the front. In 1911 its title became “Our Lady of the Hearts”. The plaque serves as a memorial for the last night of World War II, April 25th 1945. On that night, Our Lady of the Hearts kept the inhabitants of the five nearby villages of Canda, Ramodipalo, Salvaterra, Crocetta and Presciane safe from the wrath of the retreating enemy. (via G. Marconi – Canda)
Places of interest
Nani Mocenigo Villa
In 1580 the architect Vincenzo Scamozzi (Vicenza 1552 – Venice 1616) was commissioned to build the villa by the nobleman Agostino Nani. The villa, by the Tartaro River, was finished in 1584. In the 19th century it acquired the new name of the owners and became Villa Nani Mocenigo. It’s still surrounded by the original wall, and its garden contains a family chapel, stables and greenhouses. These are all dilapidated and abandoned. Beyond the building is a large park with several statues in Colli Berici stone. These are attributed to the Venetian Alvise Tagliapietre. After years of neglect, the San Marino Bank entrusted the estate to the Canda municipal administration. The administration handles the maintenance and uses it for local events. (via Roma 75 – Canda)
It was built in 1726. The complex includes a service building, probably a stable, and a small dwelling for the servants.
Eighteenth century villa, with a mix of stateliness and intimacy, fine furnishings and evocative exteriors. The villa is tied to the Bettini family history. They lived here for seven generations, from the early 1800s, as apothecaries and then pharmacists. About a decade ago, it was converted into a bed and breakfast. (piazza Alighieri 231, Canda)
It’s on the ancient road to Lendinara, at the center of what used to be a large farm estate. It’s close to the hamlet of Presciane, under the San Bellino municipality.
This 18th century complex includes a manor, a service building and a private chapel.
The first settlements in the area were in roman times, as evidenced by the discovery of tombs and other archaeological finds. In the Middle Ages Canda was part of the Este land holdings. The inhabitants were exempted from taxes for their work to reclaim the land. They drained the swamps and the flooding caused by retreating enemies for strategic reasons. The area was at the center of conflict and war between the Venetians and Ferrara. In the late 15th century it became part of the Venetian Republic. It remained so until 1797, when the Republic fell. The Venetian rule was a time of growth, but with the Napoleonic invasion and the Austrian dominion caused political banditry. In 1866 the area was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. Some noteworthy monuments are the Nani Moricego Villa, the church dedicated to the Archangel Saint Michael, the Loredan Palace, and some elegant patrician residences. These date back to the Venetian rule, and include the Ca’ Raspi, the Ca’ Giovannelli, and the Ca’ Tommasi.
Pro Loco Canda
Via G. Marconi, 53
Tel. 0425 702393 – Fax 0425 702018
January 6 – Theaters and the banks of the Canalbianco
This Epiphany festival includes a show in the church theater, the delivery of the Epiphany stocking to the little ones. Finally we have the traditional “Brusavecia” on the banks of the Canalbianco.
Carnival to the streets
February – Town square
This festival has only existed for a few years. It’s made possible by a strong collaboration of almost all the village associations. The Carnival, has a food stand with crostoli and beans, floats, parade of masks, dances, games and entertainment suitable both for children and for older children.
May 1st – soto le tiglie
May 1 – Villa Nani Mocenigo Park
Visit and discover the park with barbecues, picnics, games and shows.
Feast of St. Anthony (13 June)
June – Piazza D. Alighieri
Food stand, pizzeria, dance with live music, evening markets, amusement parks and fireworks
“Theatre in Villa …” Festival
July and August – Villa Nani Mocenigo Park
mateur theater festival in Venetian dialect and Italian
Feast of the Gnocco (potato dumpling)
September – Piazza D. Alighieri and Villa Nani Mocenigo
Food stand with dumplings tasting, local products exhibit, shows, and theme conferences
Festival of Performed Literature
September – the park of Villa Nani Mocenigo
It takes place over three days in early September. This event has featured leading figures such as Walter Veltroni, Fabio Granata, Marcello De Angelis, Pippo Santonastaso, Marcello Veneziani, Giordano Bruno Guerri, etc.
November – Theatre
Theater performance held in late November. The Canda theatre company “I Ruscoletti” reveals a village mystery every year. Up to now, the following works were carried out: “The Sad Countess”, “The Love Curbstone”, “Our Lady of Hearts” and “Borgofuro”.