Canaro

Loading…
  • Localization of the territory

  • Villa Martelli, Piccoli

  • Church of Saint Sophia

The noted renaissance painter Benvenuto Tisi da Garofolo, also called The Garofolo, was born in Garofolo, now a hamlet of Canaro.

Churches and places of worship

ssofiaChurch of Saint Sophia
The year this church was built is unknown. A church dedicated to St. Sophia existed from the beginning of the millennium, and it was probably expanded or renovated in the 1400s. It was then heavily modified in the 1700s. The church contains remarkable works of art: a marble bas-relief that depicts the last supper (of the Canova school) on the main altar, and the artistically significant statue of Our Lady of the Rosary.  (Piazza XX settembre – Canaro)

 

 

smargheritaChurch of Saint Margaret
This religious building is in Garofolo, a hamlet of Canaro. It’s one of the two churches in town, in addition to the small places of worship mentioned in local history, and of which we still find traces. Both are connected to the small municipality’s parish. This one was built towards the end of the 1500s to replace a previous one, built in 1289 and destroyed by a flood of the Po River. (via Rettilineo – Garofolo)

 

 

Church of the Holy Mary Immaculate
In Paviole.

 

Places of interest

casabenvenutotisiHouse of Benvenuto Tisi
This building is very close to the Po River, and is undoubtedly the oldest in Canaro.  This humble abode has housed the Tisi family since the 1300s. Benvenuto Tisi (1476 approx. – 1559), called “The Garofolo” because of his origins, was one of the greatest painters of Ferrara in the 1500s. The Garofalo produced many works that are now on exhibit in the most prestigious museums of the world. Some are also in the Ferrara picture gallery in the Palace of Diamonds. (via Rettilineo – Garofolo)

 

 

Municipal Theatre
The current municipal theatre was born during the reconstruction of the former House of the Fascio. This building dates back to the frist half of the 20th century. It’s in the XX Settembre Square, and in front of it is a war memorial. The memorial has a 1924 bronze statue of the goddess Pity, by Gino Colognesi of Fiesso Ubertiano. The theatre also hosts the town council.  (via Roma – Canaro)

 

villamartellithumbVilla Martelli, Piccioli
This villa is in the Paviole hamlet, and it’s from the early 1800s. It was owned by the Martelli family, whose origins lie in the Florence of the 1200s. The family is connected to the history of Florence, Ferrara, Polesine of Rovigo, and of Canaro. Noteworthy members of the family are Napoleone, a doctor in the early 1800s, and Romualdo and Armando, two engineers who participated in the reclamation of the plain.  (via Cesare Battisti – Paviole)

 

 

History

Its origins are uncertain, but its history has always been affected by the great Po River. The earliest documents report that it was a Ferrara possession in the 11th century. It grew under Este rule, however, in the 15th century, it became a battleground. The war between Venetians and the House of Este was over this strategically important section of the Po River, and it heavily damaged the settlement. After the war, it became part of the Venetian Republic, and remained so until 1797, when the Republic fell. After the French rule came the Austrian one, and in 1838 it became a municipality. Its more recent history was uneventful, and it followed the rest of the province into the Kingdom of Italy. The flood of 1951 is infamous.

Useful information

Pro Loco Canaro
Via Morandi, 53
Tel. 348 4766468 – Fax 0425 1682185
e-mail: info@prolococanaro.it
www.prolococanaro.it

 

EVENTS : 

Canaro Show
March – Municipal Theatre
Performances by singers, comedians, impersonators, dancers.

Festival of Bigul al Torc
June – July
Food stand, shows and flea markets, music shows.

St. Sophia Festival
October
Food stand, shows and flea markets, music shows.