Churches and places of worship
Church of Saint Rocco
In 1189 a church already existed in “Cadalto”, the latinized name of Calto. In a 1434 letter, the beatified Giovanni Tavernelli talks about Chadallto and its church, which was under the Ceneselli church. In 1437 a ruinous earthquake, with epicenter in Ferrara, gravely damaged it. The building decayed for a long time, until 1599, when Calto became an independent parish. The bishop Giovanni Fontana solemnly dedicated the church to St. Rocco. In 1630 Calto was stricken by the plague, which reaped over 70 victims. By mid-August the epidemic abated and the locals vowed to build St. Rocco a newer and bigger church for the grace they received. The construction work began in 1690. In the 1700s the church’s décor was completed. Statues of saints, attributed to the workshop of the famous sculptor Giovanni Bonazza, were inserted in niches on the airy façade. Altars in sculpted and inlaid polychrome marble were built inside. The ceiling was decorated with painted stucco. In 1818-1819, St. Rocco passed under the ecclesiastic jurisdiction of the diocese of Adria. The new bishop, Carlo Pio Ravesi (1825), described a church like the current one. Its features are three naves and a presbytery, an apse, a baptistery, a main altar and six minor ones on the sides. The church was damaged in World War Two. On the 20th of May 2012, a strong earthquake collapsed part of the roof and damaged the building internally, making it unusable. (Piazza IV Novembre – Calto)
Places of interest
Its construction probably dates to the 1600s. The only documented sources attest that in the early 18th century the villa was bought from the Riminaldi nobles by the Calto municipality. In 1906 it was expanded and renovated to house the town hall offices and the elementary school. (Piazza IV Novembre 165 – Calto)
Fioravanti Villa, Roveri
Built in 1600, its architecture is in the style of Ferrara. The central body is flanked by to symmetrical towers with pinnacles on top. (via Roma 199 – Calto )
In 11th century documents it was mentioned as “Cadalto” or “Cavalto”. It was founded a few millennia ago by a group of nomads. In the 13th century it passed under Este rule, and remained so until it was annexed to the Church State in 1597. Other reports from the Middle Ages have it as the grounds for contentions and skirmishes. These fights, between the Este family and Venice, Verona, Mantua, Padua and Milan, were over control of the Polesine area and its rivers. The damages caused by these wars were followed by those caused by the French occupation and, from 1815, by Austrian rule. During this time it became part of the Rovigo province. Its precarious economic situation was worsened by the world wars and by the Po flood of 1951. This caused many inhabitants to migrate to more secure areas. The historic and architectural heritage isn’t very rich: only the parish church of St. Rocco, the rectory, the Fioravanti Villa and the former Riminaldi Palace stand out.
Saint Rocco festival
16th of August
Artistic and cultural events, treasure hunt, amateur comedy and various entertainment.