Churches and places of worship
Church of St. John the Baptist
Its existence is documented from the twelfth century onwards. The church was renovated and expanded over the centuries. The current appearance dates back to the 1700s, when the church was expanded. On the large medallion on the ceiling, is the ascension of St. John the Baptist. The Venetian painter Pio Piati painted the fresco in the early nineteenth century. In a niche in the last altar on the left is the wooden statue of the Madonna of Vangadizza. It has been in the Abbey since the 1400s. In the last altar on the right is the urn that contains the remains of St. Theobald. They were transferred from the Abbey of Vangadizza to the Archpriest Church in 1810, the year the monastery was closed. On the back wall of the chapel is a fresco by Sebastiano Santi, from the first half of the 1800s. It depicts the ascent to heaven of St. Theobald, as he is carried by angels.
Oratory of Our Lady of Health
The Oratory, built by Giovanni Francesco Loredan in 1719, is octagonal. On the inside, a beautiful altar in polychrome marble adds to the miraculous frescoed image of the Virgin. On the left is a small raised altar with a crucifix and two little angels at its base. Outside the oratory are some statues, all of good quality.
Abbey of Santa Maria della Vangadizza
The Abbey of Vangadizza originates in the mid-tenth century, when the Este family called the Benedictines to the Abbey. They gave the monks several of their holdings. The Vangadizza Abbey and the parishes subject to it did not belong to any diocese. The Abbey in enjoyed the privilege of “nullius diocesis” and the abbot answered directly to the Pope. By the first half of 1200 the Benedictine were succeeded by the Camaldolese. They governed the fate of the monastery until its permanent suppression by Napoleonic decree in 1810. A few years prior, during the French rule at the late 1700s, the Vangadizza had become property of a French citizen. It lost its religious purpose, and its foreign ownership lasted until the early 1980s, when the Municipal Administration bought it. Today the cloister is the portion of the monastic compound that is still visible. It dates back to 1200, it has a trapezoidal shape, and it’s accessed through a 1400s Gothic arch in brick. The portico is covered with canvas, and it’s supported by brick pillars. In the 1400s the cloister was restored and the upper loggia was decorated with Verona marble columns. An elegant white marble well is in its center. The cloister is the most interesting and suggestive architectural element of the Abbey. An elegant portal in red Verona marble Verona leads to the dining hall. Just ahead is the door to the abbot’s garden, as it’s called in the old maps. The square of Vangadizza, a large space in front the former church of the Abbey of Vangadizza, is accessed through this garden. All that is left of the church are the perimeter walls, as it was demolished in 1836 during the French rule. The side chapel of Our Lady of Vangadizza from the fifteenth century, however, is still intact. Worthy of note are the stucco plumes of the dome and frescoes on the apse basin. The latter, by Filippo Zaniberti (1585-1636) depict the Virgin’s miracles. In the square before the church are two sarcophagi that hold the remains of its Estensi benefactors and of the Hannover family fathers. The current English monarchs descend from the Hannovers.
Other places of worship
Church of St. Anthony
Church of St. Anthony (Salvaterra)
Church of St. Sebastian Crocetta
Church of St. George the martyr (Villafora)
Church of St. Mary of Mercy (Colombano)
Church of St. Constance (Villa d’Adige)
“A.E. Baruffaldi” Civic Museum
This museum showcases objects relating to various historical periods, to civil and religious institutions, to ceramics, to photography, to free time and a model of the floating windmill on the Adige. The most important section houses paintings by 19th and 20th century artists from Badia. This section also contains the “Last Supper” by Girolamo Bonsignori, painted in the 16th century.
Piazza V. Emanuele II – Badia Polesine
Tel. +39 0425 52695 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday from 9.00 to 12.00
“Eugenio Balzan” Collection
In early 2014, the municipality of Badia Polesine got a loan for the entire collection of 49 artworks that are exhibited in the foyer of the “E. Balzan” Social Theatre. The opening to the public of the important gathering, hosted by the city that gave birth to Eugenio Balzan, allows scholars and visitors to browse the extraordinary nineteenth and twentieth-century Italian paintings. It also raises awareness of Balzan and of his passion for art.
c/o Teatro Sociale Eugenio Balzan
via Danieli – 45021 Badia Polesine (RO)
Tel. +39 (0)425 51766 – email@example.com
Saturday and Sunday – 10:00-12: 30 / 15:30-19:00
€ 4 full price
€ 3 reduced price (ages 6-18, university students)
€ 3 groups (minimum of 15 people, 1 adult for every 20 visitors)
€ 1 schools (2 free teachers per class)
Free admission for children under age 6, for journalists, for nationally registered tourist guides, for soldiers in uniform.
Reservations required for groups and schools.
Places of interest
In the early twentieth century a building was demolished to make space for the new Market Hall. It’s in Venetian Gothic style, and the designer was undoubtedly influenced by the Palazzo Ducale in Piazza San Marco in Venice. This municipal property was recently restored and, for some years now, has been the seat of the Tax Offices. The ground floor has been converted into a spacious Civic Hall for various cultural initiatives. (via Don Minzoni – Badia Polesine)
Palace of the Estensi
The palace of the Palace of the Estensi is a beautiful building built in 1430. It’s in the center of Badia, its style is gothic and it’s adorned with elegant triple windows. It was built during the first period of Venetian occupation. Its name comes from the Estensi, who stayed in Badia in the late fifteenth century.
Built in 1905, in Art Noveau style. (via Roma – Badia Polesine)
Built in the eighteenth century; the staircase in soft stone and the elegant original moldings that decorate its room are noteworthy. The paintings on the ceilings are by the Venetian painter Giovanni Biasin. (via degli Estensi – Badia Polesine)
It’s a sixteenth century manor, but like many buildings in Badia Polesine, it was remodeled in the modern era. It houses a room decorated in the nineteenth century by the Ferrarese painter Francesco Saraceni. In 1855 he worked on the Teatro Sociale. (via San Giovanni – Badia Polesine)
It dates back to the seventeenth century and it’s one of the few buildings in Badia whose facade has remained intact. (via San Giovanni – Badia Polesine)
Built in the late nineteenth century by Emanuele Finzi, owner of the Finzi mill. The mill is one of the most important industries that arose in Badia Polesine in the late nineteenth century. (via Pinzon – Badia Polesine)
The building is from the the late 1500s. The courtyard façade retains the terracotta cornice of that period, whereas the façade on Via Estensi was remodeled in the eighteenth century. (via degli Estensi – Badia Polesine)
Town Hall and Clock Tower
It dates to the seventeenth century and was somewhat rearranged later. Adjacent to the Palace is the clock tower of 1595. (Piazza V. Emanuele II – Badia Polesine)
The name of Badia Polesine used to simply be “La Badia” (The Abbey), because of the Benedictine abbey of S. Mary of Vangadizza, around which the town developed. After the 589 rout of Cucca (now Veronella), the Adige River abandoned its original course. Around the year 900 the marquis of Mantua, Almerigo, had the Abbey built. It was independent from the Adria diocese, and it would later be given to the Benedictines. In the 1200s, Badia had three city doors, and it was surrounded by a moat. In the 1400s the decline of the Vangadizza began, with its acquisition by the french family of d’Espagnac. In the nineteenth century it would be shut down by Napoleonic decree. Badia underwent the rule of the Este, of Padua and of the Republic of Venice. In 1797 the French took over, followed by the Austrians. In 1866 Veneto was annexed to the Italian State. Badia Polesine also was the last city on the Romea Annia pilgrimage road. The pilgrims from eastern and northern Europe headed to the important roman settlement of Iulia Concordia, now Concordia Sagittaria. From here they travelled the Romea Annia for over 200 Km, crossing the lower Padana Plain. The route, which went from east to west, led them to the ancient abbey of Badia Polesine. In the 1800s the city underwent development. The hospital, the Social Theatre, and several public works were built. Among these are the bridge over the Adige that connects Badia and the Padua province, and the Verona-Rovigo railway. In 1928 the municipality included Crocetta to its territory. During World War II, in April 1945, the San Nicolò borough was bombed and destroyed. In the sixties the Italian economic boom birthed new factories around the city. In the mid-nineties the Transpoleasana Road was completed, causing many businesses and industries to spring up in its vicinity.
Pro Loco Badia Polesine
Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 37
Tel. 0425 590696 – Fax 0425 590696
January – Main Streets and Vangadizza square
Parade through the streets of the city in historical re-enactment costumes. Re-enactment of the Nativity at Vangadizza square with the arrival of the three kings.
Masks for everyone
February – Piazza V.Emanuele
Carnival in the square with games, entertainment, music and awards ceremony for the most beautiful masks.
National Kite Festival
Apr. 25th – Sperone Bova (On the right bank of the Adige)
Popular culture event on the right bank of the Adige. It has children, teens and adults celebrating nature for a day. The atmosphere is happy, and there are multiple awards available to participants.
July – City streets, Vangadizza square
On occasion of the feast of the Patron St. Theobald, a parade in medieval costume goes through the city streets. This is a “re-enactment” of when the relics St .Theobald were moved from Badia Polesine to St.Thibaulth des Vignes (FR). The event took place in 1075 and is celebrated with a medieval dinner in Vangadizza square.
August – Piazza Marconi, Piazza V.Emanuele
Rides, musical attractions, bingo, fireworks.
Regional Polenta Festival
September – Villa d’Adige di Badia Polesine
Music every night and typical Venetian cuisine.
Madonna della Salute Festival
November – Piazza Madonna della Salute
Games of yesteryear, chestnuts, and prizes for everyone.