Churches and places of worship
Church of Saint Andrew
The church was built around 1054, and it belonged to the bishop of Adria. Around 1516 it was rebuilt, because it was crumbling. The church was restored in 1695 and its monumental entrance was completely renovated. Inside there are seven marble altars and two valuable paintings. (Piazza Umberto I – Arquà Polesine)
Oratory of St. Anthony
(via Alberto Mario 21 – Arquà Polesine)
Places of interest
The castle was built in 1146 by William III of Adelardi Marcheselli, lord of Ferrara, to defend from the Estensi, who aimed to conquer the lands of Ferrara and Polesine. After the castle was taken by the Este troops, it was recaptured in the the Venetian offensive that followed the bloody Salt War. The remains of the castle are a crenellated tower divided into three floors, and a central part that overlooks a large courtyard, whose rooms are decorated with frescoes depicting mythological scenes. It still has a moat that surrounds it, and the entrance lies past a bridge. The castle is the most significant and best-preserved medieval monument in Polesine. (via Castello 2 – Arquà Polesine)
Este hunting of Este hunting lodge, now Villa Pasqualini-Canato
This structure that dates back to the fifteenth century is an example of the rural architecture of Ferrara. It now overlooks the main road that runs through the town from east to west, whereas in the past it was separate from the town center, close to an ancient Roman path. It was built originally as a service construction by Alberto V of Este, Marquis of Ferrara and Modena, and upon his death in 1393, the property was left to his son Nicholas III. Burdened by debts, he sold it in 1412 to the nobleman Andrea Durres, with obligation of vassalage. (via Garibaldi – Arquà Polesine)
Villa Torelli, Sarti, now Rossi
A building that probably dates back to the fifteenth century, then remodeled and enlarged in the eighteenth century. (Via Valmolin di Mezzo – Arquà Polesine)
Arquà Polesine is a Roman town with a rich history. Arquà is named after a curve, or “arquata”. In ancient times, Arquà was built on the curve of a Roman road that ran through the Polesine, and which coincided with the embankment of the Pestrina, an ancient branch of the Po. In these areas the roads were mostly built on embankments for safety reasons, rather than in the flood-prone countryside. The town is first mentioned in documents relating to the donation of this and other lands to the Church of Adria by the feudal lord Marquis Almerico in 938. Even then the center was important for its position of control over the Pestrina River. In 1146 William III of Marchesella, lord of Ferrara, built a castle in defense against the Estensi family, which aimed to conquer Ferrara and Polesine. Arquà later passed under their rule, and the Estensi would then fight the Venetians for centuries over control of this important military center, on the road between Ferrara and Venice. In 1482 the Venetians finally acquired the castle and the territory of Arquà. The period of Venetian domination was peaceful and reclamation made the land more fertile. The castle was bought by the noble Venetian family Diedo, who restored and embellished it with frescoes. When Venice fell in 1797 following the Napoleonic invasion, Arquà was stripped of the riches that belonged to the convents and religious congregations. Even the hospital adjoined to the Oratory of St. Anthony, which housed pilgrims, the poor and the sick, passed into the hands of the French. In 1801 the territory was flooded for a long time because of the overflow of the Adige and the Po rivers.
Pro Loco di Arquà Polesine
Via G. Garibaldi, 9
cell. 345 3311802
The traditional “Garlic Festival” takes place on the 5th weekend of July in the beautiful setting of the Estense Castle of Arquà Polesine. It features a market of local products, DIY/hobby products, antiques, a vintage car and tool exhibit, and a food stand.