Churches and places of worship
Cathedral of Adria (New Cathedral of Saint Peter and Paul)
This church has always been the seat of the chair of the diocese of Adria-Rovigo. However, the bishop resides in Rovigo, in the co-cathedral of Santo Stefano. The Cathedral of Adria was built between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries over a fifteenth century building, in turn built atop an older one. In 1830, while the foundations of one the new cathedral’s old walls were being dug out, the remains of the crypt and of Byzantine frescoes were brought to light. These were later damaged by the 1951 flood. A bas-relief of Coptic-Egyptian origin, depicting the Virgin and the Child with the Archangels Gabriel and Michael, is kept within the church. There also are wooden cabinets from the 1600s crafted by J. Piazzetta. (Piazza Garibaldi – Adria)
Church of Santa Maria Assunta dalla Tomba.
It was modified several times until 1718, when it assumed its current appearance. Its name seems to come from the proximity of a Roman tomb mentioned in ancient documents, which contained the words at tumbam (Latin for “near the grave”). Popular tradition has it that the old bell tower, demolished in 1928 to make way for the new one, was built from a beacon of the ancient Roman port. This is suggested by a third century plaque on its base. The plaque bears the following inscription: “Columna haec magna ex parte calce illita rudus anguli nord-ovest est antiqui romani hadriatici phari vulgo de tumba – 1647″ (This column, for the most part covered in plaster, is the ruin of the north-west corner of the ancient Roman lighthouse of the Adriatic, commonly called ‘of the Tomb’). Inside the church, an octagonal baptismal font, dating from the seventh or eighth century, is kept. It’s engraved with the name of the 3rd bishop, Bishop Bono, the third of the diocese of Adria. In addition to fifteenth and sixteenth century paintings, the chapel contains a terracotta relief depicting a Dormitio Virginis, attributed to Michele da Firenze. The church is considered a minor basilica. (via Bocchi 46 – Adria)
Old Cathedral of Saint John
It dates back roughly to the eleventh century and it stands to the right of the new Cathedral. Its current orientation, with the apse to the west, is the reverse of the original. In fact, ever since the construction of the new cathedral, the entrance is now inside the new building, to the right. On the south side the Old Cathedral opens up to the Campanile Piazzetta (belltower square). The impressive and valuable reproduction of the Grotto of Lourdes in the back was built in the thirties. Inside the old cathedral is a plaster bas-relief made by The Samoggia. It depicts the baptism of Jesus and the medallions of the Evangelists. Worthy of note is the list of names of the Bishops of Adria, with their coats of arms. It’s arranged along the inside perimeter of the side walls. Under the Cathedral of St. John the Old is a significant mark of the medieval Christian presence in the city: the still visible remains of a semicircular crypt, some dating back to the V-VI sec., with fresco paintings in Byzantine style, depicting the apostles. The surrounding area definitely contains more hidden traces of its early Christian past, but the buildings built in the area cover it almost completely, making further research difficult. (Piazza A. Mario 12 – Adria)
Other places of worship
Church dedicated to Maria Mediatrice di Grazia Patrona degli autisti (Strada Statale Adria – Rovigo 66 – Valliera)
Church of Beata Vergine del Carmine (via Rodella – Cà Emo)
Church of Beata Vergine della Pace (via Pisacane – Cavanella Po)
Church of Beata Vergine delle Grazie (via Arginelli 101 – Fasana)
Church of Nostro Signor Gesù Cristo Divin Lavoratore (via Po 29 – Adria)
Church of S. Andrea (riviera S.Andrea 4 – Adria)
Church of S.Francesco d’Assisi (Piazza della Libertà – Bottrighe)
Church of S.Giacomo (Piazza S.Giacomo – Bellombra)
Church of S.Nicola (Piazzetta S.Nicola – Adria)
Church of S.Vigilio Vescovo Martire (via E.Filiberto 12 – Adria)
Church of S.Giorgio (Piazza S. Giorgio – Mazzorno Sinistro)
Church of S.Giuseppe (Piazza Einaudi – Baricetta)
Oratory of SS. Faustino e Giuditta (Loc. Smergoncino – Cavanella Po)
Adria National Museum of Archeology
Adria National Museum of Archeology: The original nucleus of what is currently on display in the Museum of Adria comes from artifacts collected over the years by some members of the Bocchi family, starting at the end of the 1700s, and in particular by Francesco Girolamo Bocchi. Important finds from the Etruscan and Roman times are stored here, a testimony to the thriving trade port by the sea and near one of the main branches of the Po. Worthy of note is are the numerous glass objects some form nearby settlements and others of Eastern import. Of particular interest is an iron chariot found with the skeletons of three horses in the tomb of a Celtic warrior of the fourth century BC.
The Museum houses a section dedicated to Etruscan and Roman remains found in the village of San Basilio, in the municipality of Ariano nel Polesine. The National Museum of Adria is home to exhibitions and conferences of international importance.
Via Badini, n. 59 – Adria
OPENING TIMES : 8:30 AM – 7:30 PM
Open year round, except on the following: Christmas, New Year’s Eve, 1° of May.
4€ for visitors over 25 and under 65
2€ for visitors of ages 18-25
Free entry for visitors under 18 and over 65.
Museum of the Cathedral
The Museum of the Cathedral of Adria is located in Piazzetta Campanile, near the Cathedral of Saint Peter and Paul. It was opened in 2015 to house the sacred vessels used for carrying out the solemn liturgical functions of the Cathedral. It also houses the sculptures and paintings that, removed from their original location for safekeeping purposes, were hidden in the stores and in the sacristy of the cathedral.
The distribution of the works within the architectural complex that houses the museum has been designed to allow the visitor to globally perceive the artistic taste of the represented eras. Through the interactive virtual “Wall of time” you can learn about the history of the Cathedral. The first room is dedicated to the codes and ancient documents, collected in a single environment to better control the parameters of moisture, temperature and lighting. More than half of the Treasury consists of works belonging to the bishops: mitres decorated with embroideries and oriental pearls, and a beautiful chiseled cup. Sculptures, antiphonaries, reliquaries and various other works of art complete the interesting museum’s collection.
Piazzetta Campanile – Adria
Wednesday and Saturday 10 AM to 12 AM
According to some historians, as the last Syracusian city, Adria gave name to the Adriatic Sea.
The first traces of a settlement in the area of the city date back to the period between the tenth and sixth centuries BC. Here the Venets built stilt dwellings in the marshland which at the time faced the sea.
At the beginning of the sixth century BC Adria was a simple Etruscan settlement located on the Mincio, which at the time flowed into the sea and followed what is now the course of the Canal Bianco, then called Po di Adria. It was ruled by a monarch, probably chosen among the nobles.
The settlement (an emporium) was founded as Hatria or Atria by the Syracusans, in the time of their expansionist policies. The lagoons once present along the north coast, from the mouth of the Po to Grado, enabled ships to navigate safely.
Due to its strategic location, Adria was refounded in 385 BC as a colony of the powerful Syracuse, as part of a trade expansion in the Adriatic promoted by the Syracusan tyrant Dionysius the Elder. The new settlements were built by political opponents of the tyrant. They established the democratic regime that had been canceled in their motherland. Along with Adria, Ancona, Issa and others were founded.
Adria then became prey to the Gauls, their allies, and a part the army of the city of Syracuse. The progressive filling of the Po delta caused by the routing of the Sermide River (VIII century BC), which changed the course of the Po (It was moved to what is now Ficarolo and then bent to the south), separated the city from the sea, making the continuation of the port’s activities increasingly problematic.
By the time of the barbarian invasions, the port of Adria had already lost much of its importance, but it took on the new role of major military bastion within the territories controlled by the Church of Rome. The final decline of the port of Adria occurred after the routing of the Cucca River of 589, which changed the entire hydrography of the area.
Between the seventh and eighth centuries Adria became an independent fief, separate from that of Ravenna. After some time as a Comune (Italian city state), it became a possession of the Este family, and remained despite the expansion of the Venetian Republic.
Only in the sixteenth century did Venice take control, and by then it was little more than a village in the midst of a malarial swamp.
When the reclamation of the Polesine Valley in the seventeenth century began, Adria started to gain influence once again.
With Napoleon Bonaparte’s invasion in 1796, Adria joined the District of Padua. With the Treaty of Campoformio in 1797, it became part of the Austrian Empire, thanks to the peace agreements signed by Napoleon, and the dissolution of the first anti-French coalition.
By a decree of February 27, 1798 the Austrians reconfirmed the rights previously given by the Venetian Republic, establishing the Province of Adria. After the victory of Marengo on June 14 1800, the French returned. From 1802 to 1813 Adria became part of the Italian Republic, which was then transformed in 1805 into the Kingdom of Italy. It was incorporated in the Adriatic Department administration, with Venice as its capital. The Napoleonic invasion was not well received; the Habsburgs were better received when they conquered Veneto.
After the defeat of Napoleon, and as a result of the 1815 restoration made by the Congress of Vienna, Adria was included in the Lombard-Venetian kingdom, under the Prefecture of Rovigo. The Austrians, although not always well liked by Adries, greatly improved the infrastructure and the quality of the city, although they often replaced Italians in managerial positions with Austrian directors.
Pro Loco Adria
Piazza Bocchi, 1 – Adria
Tel. 0426 21675 Fax: 0426 21675
FLEA MARKET AND ANTIQUE MARKET
Every other Saturday of the month (except August) – Piazze Bocchi e Grotto
CARNIVAL OF THE CHILDREN – OLD CARNIVAL OF THE DELTA
March – Bottrighe
Parade of floats and masked groups, fireworks
PERFUMES AND FLAVOURS OF EASTER
March or April – Piazza Garibaldi
Market with typical products from various Italian regions, handicrafts, entertainment, clash of eggs and breaking of chocolate eggs.
MAY 1 – ADRIA IN FLOWER
1st of may – Downtown squares and streets
Flower show and market, garden furniture, crafts, “Say it with flowers “poetry and painting contest, various exhibitions and shows.
SUMMER WEDNESDAYS: THEATRE IN THE SQUARE
Wednesday in July and August – Squares of the town and surrounding villages
Theater festival in Venetian dialect
Fridays in July and August
Shows and attractions in the streets of the city, with open shops, every Friday night.
CINEMA UNDER THE STARS
July and August – the squares and parks of the municipality
Screening of the latest films of the season in the squares and parks of the municipal area, moving between the different factions and the city center.
SAINT ROCCO FAIR
August – Valliera
Fair with food stands and fireworks
September-October – Squares of the town ad surrounding villages, Sala Cordella
Events and shows, photographic exhibits, bazaar stalls, festival of volunteering associations (1st Sunday in September).
UP AND DOWN THE DITCHES
Mountain Biking – from Corso Mazzini (Adria) into the Po Delta Park.
NATIONAL PAINTING COMPETITION “VIA RUZZINA”
National painting contest with showcasing of artwork at the Franceschetti and Di Cola Foundation
THE AMERICANS OF VALLIERA
October – Valliera
Event aimed at promotion of the Sweet Potato of Valliera. With shows and tastings of typical food products.
NATIVITY ON THE WATER
From December 8th to January 15th – Canalbianco
Representation of the Holy Family on barges in the internal branch of Canalbianco. Blessing and laying of Baby Jesus on the afternoon of Christmas Eve.